Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   454 intake manifold question (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/454-intake-manifold-question-221943.html)

chevyrestore 07-20-2012 09:00 PM

454 intake manifold question

Hey guys, got a 1980 454 motor in a 1959 chevy truck. I am about to change the intake manifold gaskets and dont know which ones to get. I see the correct port ones (oval port) but see some with the exhaust crossover blocked off and some open and some coming with water restrictors (4 individual ones)

What are those 4 restrictors for and should I use them?
Should I block off the exhaust crossover or no?

The heads are cast iron I believe and I am running full length headers not exhaust manifolds.

Thanks for the info.

mud.man.rj 07-20-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestore (Post 1575586)
Hey guys, got a 1980 454 motor in a 1959 chevy truck. I am about to change the intake manifold gaskets and dont know which ones to get. I see the correct port ones (oval port) but see some with the exhaust crossover blocked off and some open and some coming with water restrictors (4 individual ones)

What are those 4 restrictors for and should I use them?
Should I block off the exhaust crossover or no?

The heads are cast iron I believe and I am running full length headers not exhaust manifolds.

Thanks for the info.

I never restrict the water passages as most big blks run warm/hot and the exh crossover is for a choke that isn't electric so it can heat the choke element up with hot exhaust, so if using an elect choke as most do use the blocked off gaskets. Make sure to go by engine year this limits gaskets.

cdminter59 07-20-2012 10:48 PM

454 intake manifold gaskets

Use the part # from this summit racing website and see if your local auto parts store can get you the gaskets. If not go to a speed shop in your area. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-MS902402/

Cridder 07-21-2012 04:17 AM

Edelbrock verses Wieand

This doesn't have anything to do with your gasket question, but the title of your thread peaked my interest.
If your running a edelbrock two plane and your motor is at all hopped up seriously think about discarding the intake for a wieand.
The edel in my opinion is junk, the 454 needs to breath, even port matched the edelbrock is a downer. even just looking at the runners you can see the weiand is a better intake.
Ive run both on my 461 and the weiand pulled way harder all over especially on top.
IMHO Pete

454C10 07-21-2012 05:48 AM

I typically use the exhaust crossover restrictors since I live in a warm climate. It still flows, just not as much.

I have been putting on intakes for over 30 years and I have never seen water port restrictors.

Even on a mild build, I like the RPM intake over the performer intake (if you have the hood clearance). Not the Air-gap RPM, but use the regular RPM. Make sure to get the intake that matches your carb style (spread bore or square bore).

Use a thick bead of rtv on the front and back ends of the intake and throw those end gaskets away.

Cridder 07-22-2012 01:49 AM

Gasket dope

I think the 4 restrictors that your looking at are the peices you put together to make the exhaust gas restrictors, they come in a little manila envelope in the kit, the peices sandwich together and theres these little tabs that come out of the hole you bend over to keep it together.

I think the resrictors come into play more when you have stock exhaust and the engine spends alot of time idleing in a hot inviroment.

If your running headers then the exhsaut gas deverter valve is long gone and there anint much gas traveling across the intake and you could probly leave them out all together.