48 chevy p/u doesn't sit correctly - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 02:07 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,019 Posts
I thought it was... Can you give us a picture of under the hood... It seems like someone may have pulled out on the two side's at the bottom of the hood..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

I actually have a little more to the story now. I talked to the guy who had the hood on his truck and he told me he had it on his truck without it being bolted on. When he hit about 55 it flew off the truck and landed on the highway which caused the damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to cornfieldcars For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 04:43 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfieldcars View Post
I actually have a little more to the story now. I talked to the guy who had the hood on his truck and he told me he had it on his truck without it being bolted on. When he hit about 55 it flew off the truck and landed on the highway which caused the damage.
I have seen that myself a few times....

Now we know the rest of the story....

Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
is this a high and low here ??

Do you have the Hard rubber strip installed on the cowl yet ,,it will change how it fits ,, my suggestion is install it Before you do any body work ,,also it does Not meet in the middle only use the clips the come with the strip and cut rubber at the end of the inside clip. just my opinion

I had to install all the rubber bumpers to get mine to fit 4 in front 3 up each side and strip on rear ,but my hood had a lot of work. ,,this is the strip I was referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101 001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	146282  

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 05-13-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
The hood on my 48 chevy p/u doesn't sit flat on the passenger side right at the cowl. A body guy looked at it and said it was "stretched". I understand what he is saying and he said the way to fix it was to heat it and let it cool so the metal contracts and then hammer and dolly it flat. He is swamped with jobs and can't get to it any time soon and told me it is pretty tricky work. is this something a novice could do or will I screw it up completely?
I have a white 49 3100 with a similar issue. The back edge of the hood is flimsy and "oil canned". On my truck, the gap between the driver's side of the hood and the cowl is too wide. I need to elongate the holes in the hinge and that will reduce the gap making the flimsy back edge of the hood less visible. If you adjust the fenders lower so the hood sits tighter in the back that should help. I never thought shrinking metal was all that challenging. I have done it many times, but I would of course take the hood off to do it. It will make the underside of the hood a bit pitted looking.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
I think I'd just get another hood,thats just the only spot you noticed because it sticks out like a sore thumb but once you get primer on it and start blocking your going to find more and more until its full of bondo from one end to the other...So save yourself some trouble, time and money and replace it. its just not worth fixing ,theres too many of those hoods around that are in great shape.. Of coarse you could always spray it in black primer and leave it.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,969 Times in 4,424 Posts
Quote:
I did that myself about 35 years ago. Can't imagine it would make sense to repair it, there are plenty out there.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DocImage22.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	146354  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in