Hot Rod Forum banner

49-51 Ford suspension

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
Has anyone out there been involved in subframing a 49-51 ford? I am in the process of building one and am looking for advice on both front and rear suspension, mostly front right now. I have found several companies making front frame clips for Mustang II suspension, but can't seem to find anyone with much experience installing or a good report of improvements after the swap. Any opinions or other advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jared

#2 ·
Why go to the time and expense of sub framing the front end? You won't gain anything except bragging rights that you subbed it. Rebuild the existing front end and add disc brakes as an upgrade. Use dropped spindles to get in the weeds in front and lowering blocks in the rear. :cool:

#3 ·
I agree with Frisco, use what you have. Call Fatman and get a set of dropped spindles and disc brakes and rebuild the suspension components. I belive that a 70's ford pu steering box can be used to gain power steering. :cool:

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, but I think a Mustang II clip is the way to go. My original stuff is all shot, steering box, kingpins, tierods, everything. If I go with a Mustang II setup I will have rack and pinion steering, less weight, more spring options, cheaper disc brakes, readily available components, more room for exhaust, and a 2" drop with stock components. Is there something I am missing here. I have found a quality looking frame stub (StreetRod Engineering)for around $700 and I can get the Mustang II components for next to nothing. I think it would take far more cash to get the stock stuff back up to par.

-Jared

#5 ·
Hey Jared I installed a 90 S-10 front end and it went really well. All parts included (new ball joints tie rods bushings hoses) ran me less than 1000 canadian. I spent over 1500 on the old front end and had nothing but grief and a car that handeled like a 51 ford.

#6 ·
Thnks for the input. I guess there are people other than me that go back and bring old posts back to life. I have completed the install of the Streetrod engineering subframe some time ago now and have no real complaints. Some of their welding didn't really look that great but all the critical stuff looked good. I still don't have the car finished and on the road so i can't say anything about the handling. I still have the body off finishing up some body work but hopefully a little later this winter things will start going back togehter for the final time. I have almost everything for the car ready to put back together now. If I can just find some time and get some help from some friends. I can't wait to take it for a ride...........

Jared

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.