4l60e - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e

Hey Guys is there a way t o connect a speedometer to this trans with no pcm ? i have turned it into a carb motor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 12:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

The speedo is the least of your worries...4L60e requires a PCM to shift. You can buy an aftermarket unit

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...iAAEgLrXfD_BwE
Old 09-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Manual valvebody to shift the 4l60e.

Gps speedometer to get the speed.

Throw out that failure prone 97-07 cluster (I assume you have)for some aftermarket autometer or better gauges.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 AM

Thanked 1,139 Times in 910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gunz_ View Post
Hey Guys is there a way t o connect a speedometer to this trans with no pcm ? i have turned it into a carb motor

As has been said the 4L60E needs a computer to operate, without it you get limp home all the time which is second and reverse.

A mechanical speedo can be used with modification to the tail housing. Depending on the year an electronic speedo may not need the computer (87 thru 95).

If you're sticking with the carb and this is an 93 thru 95 model the 700R4 is a better choice that just eliminates the computer nonsense and those hideous wire bundles. If this is a 96 and up you're better off buying the stand alone controller as everything functional thing on those is integrated through the computer.

You can get the factory computer for 93-95 models when switched to a carb by using an aftermarket TPS sensor on the carb, kits are available and supplying the needed tach signal to the computer.

So there are some different ways you can skin this cat.

Bogie
Old 09-11-2019, 03:14 PM

What are your power goals with this?

Fuel wise a bit of playing with fuel maps and plugging in injectiors will get you into power levels that will destroy that 4l60.

All the tuning has already been done. These injectiors, this map, for this combination of mods.

If you see your self after 450+ hp then I would drop the overdrive all together for a th400(street) or powerglide(strip).

If this is something you want to shoot down the highway at 90 mph while getting 16mpg overdrive is nice.
Leave the thing mostly stock under around 350hp and the transmission will be happy.

But that engine can run 4000 down the highway all day also. If you want a bulletproof combination for 450+ hp levels. Transmission wise it is hard to beat a TH400 dollar per dollar.

Speedometer wise. You can use the Torque app to look at everything the computer sees. A/F ratio, intake temp, map, tps, and so on as well as your basic oil, coolant, and amps. Of course mph and trip.
But instead of looking at half a dozen gauges you can taylor the layout to you. Seeing just what you need at that moment on a simple cheap touch screen. This can interface quickly at startup.
The only thing the computer can not read is the fuel level so that is the only gauge you will need.

I am doing a 5.3 swap. Going to have a old android phone sitting next to a 3" fuel gauge and that is all my gauges. Thing will show speed, tach, and thats it. Torque has a feature that lets you set limits on your gauges. If say my temp runs over 210 the temp gauge will instantly pop up (even chiming if I want) to let me know hey idiot the engine is hot.
I can of course see any gauge at any time if I suspect something is up. Or check engine/transmission codes at any time.

But overall it is a clean looking dash that this offers. Using a removable phone for music and calls run through a hidden deck along with basic knob for heating controls you free up a good amount of room.

I have been using gps for almost 20 years as my main speedometer. The other one is there to track trip and mileage. Often it is off 5-10% though depending on the ride and only there because it fills what would otherwise be a hole. The gps is dead on every time.

If you want to run the 4l60 full manual fine keep things "simple".
Speedometer wise just grab a cheap phone that connects to your current ones network and run torque if running efi or waze(traffic and other alerts) if running carb on that cheap phone.

If you want something that matches the rest of your dash. Then autometer, speedhut, or others offer a gps gauge that will drop in and look factory while wiring up easily.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in