4L60e - High Mileage Transmission Service - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Burnt out transmission tech.

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk View Post
Hi All,

Recently picked up a '94 Chevy 1500 with almost 320k miles. I'll be doing a full tune up and servicing the transmission.

Having never done a transmission service myself before, I have a few questions. The plan is to, at the very least, drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter. Should I go as far as doing a full flush?

Also, should I just stick with the regular Dex/Mercon fluid, or would the high mileage stuff from Valvoline be a better choice?

Thanks in advance!
If it is true mileage leave it alone.
What you showed on the dipstick tells me this is not original fluid.
If, as you say, it is shifting fine leave it alone.
This comes from over 50 years of building transmissions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM

Thanked 1,066 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk View Post
Hey Gents,

Thank you all for the continued help!

I checked the fluid again this morning.

First I checked it a few moments after starting the truck.

Then I checked it again about a minute or so later. It came out a lot cleaner than when I first checked it a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, that is about what I am budgeting on for a regular oil and filter change. Thank you for the heads up on the quantity.. The local Auto Zone carries Valvoline High Mileage Dex/Merc ATF and Castrol/Dex/Merc ATF. Will one of these work just fine?

Duly noted. I'll check the case to see if it has been painted or if there is a re-manufactured label somewhere.

Wow, those are some serious miles!
That looks pretty decent to me, I put the dipstick back in and call it good.

Bogie
Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Wrench Turner

Another option you have is, if you're just really worried about it, drain the fluid as much as possible into a clean container.Drop the pan, change filter,&, refill with the drained fluid.Top it off with some new fluid as you are bound to lose some amount during the drain.This would be a PITA, but would be no more harmful than adding fluid to top it off at any other time.IMO, I don't think hou'll have any problems by doing a basic fluid/filter change.
Most ppl end up changing the fluid when they detect a problem as a 1st course of action.By then, it's usually too late & the trans goes out soon after.The failure then gets blamed on the fluid/filter change.Looking at the pics, I dkn't think you'll have any problems. If you do, they were already present before the service most likely.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:06 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey Gents,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
That fluid looks not bad too me. The 1st wipe was just cleaning crap off the dipstick, that's why the 2nd check was cleaner in appearance.

I'd just drop the pan, change the filter and refill with 4-5 liters or whatever it takes. Yes, you aren't getting all the old fluid out doing this, but that might be an advantage in such a high mileage unit.

The idea is to drop the pan, change filter and refill starting when the mileage is lower. Doing this will on average keep the quality of the fluid high, rather than a power flush. I had a 60e go out on me shortly after a flush. Now I just drop the pan, change filter, wash out the pan, and replace. But do so more often. Maybe every 50,000 miles. I use Dexron-6 Delco stuff from the GM parts counter.
I'm at 260,000 miles now.

peace
Hog
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarta View Post
If it is true mileage leave it alone.
What you showed on the dipstick tells me this is not original fluid.
If, as you say, it is shifting fine leave it alone.
This comes from over 50 years of building transmissions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
That looks pretty decent to me, I put the dipstick back in and call it good.

Bogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerZ71 View Post
Another option you have is, if you're just really worried about it, drain the fluid as much as possible into a clean container.Drop the pan, change filter,&, refill with the drained fluid.Top it off with some new fluid as you are bound to lose some amount during the drain.This would be a PITA, but would be no more harmful than adding fluid to top it off at any other time.IMO, I don't think hou'll have any problems by doing a basic fluid/filter change.
Most ppl end up changing the fluid when they detect a problem as a 1st course of action.By then, it's usually too late & the trans goes out soon after.The failure then gets blamed on the fluid/filter change.Looking at the pics, I dkn't think you'll have any problems. If you do, they were already present before the service most likely.
Going by the feedback provided by all of you, I'm going to leave things as they are for now.

I have to get the truck ready for a smog check asap, so I'm just going to focus on that for now. Afterwards, if there is any concern about the ATF, I'll look into doing just a basic fluid and filter change.

Thanks again for all your help!

Tags
4l60e, 700r4, transmission fluid, transmission flush, transmission service

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in