4L60e Limp Mode - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2019, 04:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4L60e Limp Mode

I'm pretty sure the 4L60E in my 95 Silverado is in limp mode. It won't go into 2nd unless you manually drop it and it starts off in third. Reverse works and third but there is no overdrive and no 1st. I don't think he solenoids are shot because it's a frshtly built transmission without hardly any miles on it. It was working before when I test drove my truck at a shop it was at and when I picked it up for the final time it was in limp mode. The battery was also dead and j had to charge it. The truck has a 383 engine, and a Holley sniper tbi system on it. I've checked the fuse that goes to the transmission. I also have a MSD transmission controller that I have to install for the transmission to work properly but I need to get it out of limp mode first. Any tips or ideas as to why the transmission is in limp mode?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

Update, I checked the trouble codes using a paper clip and I got a 15 and a 34. So a bad coolant temp sensor which I knew about already and something MAP sensor related. Could a bad MAP sensor cause a transmission to go into limp mode? Also if I put the MSD transmission controller on would it be able to help this situation?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Thanked 1,022 Times in 814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post
I'm pretty sure the 4L60E in my 95 Silverado is in limp mode. It won't go into 2nd unless you manually drop it and it starts off in third. Reverse works and third but there is no overdrive and no 1st. I don't think he solenoids are shot because it's a frshtly built transmission without hardly any miles on it. It was working before when I test drove my truck at a shop it was at and when I picked it up for the final time it was in limp mode. The battery was also dead and j had to charge it. The truck has a 383 engine, and a Holley sniper tbi system on it. I've checked the fuse that goes to the transmission. I also have a MSD transmission controller that I have to install for the transmission to work properly but I need to get it out of limp mode first. Any tips or ideas as to why the transmission is in limp mode?
I'd expect that the 3/4 clutch and or the 2/4 band is smoked, these are a common failure. I wouldn't expect codes 15 and 34 to put the tranny in limp mode but would keep the EFI in open mode (not using the O2 sensor for closed loop operation)

Bogie

Old 05-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

I would try wiggling the key. The ignition switches on the trucks in the 90's would loose contact on that circuit.
Check Pin E on your trans connector for voltage. With key on and unplugged it may show bat voltage, but plugged in and a back probe of pin E it will drop down.
If that is the case then the contacts in the switch are breaking down with an Amp load.
You cant have two different voltages on the same wire unless something is getting hot.

fwiw a corroded wire or wire harness pinched in bell, or laying on a hot manifold can do the same thing
Old 05-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

If I had the trans overhauled and it didn't work right it would go back to the shop for THEM to fix but you may have something else going on where that's not an option. Most likely it's something to do with the overhaul because it was working before. Check for bent pins on the plug to the trans.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

I started testing the fuses in the fuse block for voltage and number 20 which is the transmission fuse is showing very low voltage. .01 and .02 I pulled the fuse and checked it with a multimeter and it's fine. So somehow I'm losing voltage before it makes it to the fuse box and the transmission. I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch that y'all were talking about earlier in the thread?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in