4l60e problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2014, 12:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

4l60e problems

hi i have a 96 chevy 15004wd ext cab sb with vortec 305/4l60e 188k miles, and heres the problem, when the truck is completely cold(colder outside the longer) the tranny up and dowshifts 100% beautifuly no slipping nothing its perfect for maybe 10-15 miles, then once its warmed up it completely stops shifting and stay in third unless i downshift into 2nd with shifter(been callin in powerglide mode lol) its been making it to work and home without warming up enough to stop shifting, so iv been driving it, but i would really like to have it in working order before winter hits, so if anyone know whats my problem might be thanks in advance!

p.s.
yes iv tried google.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 AM
Wrench Turner

Sounds like you may be loosing power to the trans causing it to go into "limp mode".Check all the wiring & connectors for loose,dirty,corroded connections.Check for power @ the trans plug.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Is the engine light on?..Getting slippage code?

I would change the fluid and filter and see if that helps...May just be a solenoid sticking

Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 PM

already has new fluid in filter that was first thing i tried, how can i check if solonoid is sticking? and if im checking the voltage at trans plug what should the voltage be/which wire? can i find a diagram of this somewhere? any other possible problems?
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM

Check for codes & see if there are codes that are related to any of the solenoids. Please note there is an EPC solenoid, TCC PWM solenoid, TCC lock-up solenoid, 3-2 control solenoid, & 2 shift solenoids, and a pressure manifold inside the pan. If there is an electrical problem inside the pan, it could be causing the trans to go into fail-safe which is 3rd gear only.

Once you have driven more than 15 miles and it starts to act up, from a dead stop is it taking off in 3rd gear, or will it take off in 1st? Please do this test with the shifter in the "D" (or drive 4) position. If it is taking off in 3rd, it is either the computer is commanding fail-safe, OR you are losing power to the transmission. No power to the trans will default the unit to 3rd gear.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 PM

yep once its warmed up it takes off in 3rd with it in D, if i put it into 2nd it will take off in 2nd but only by putting it in 2nd, sometimes if i shut the truck off say if i pump gas or something it will take off in 1st and shift but only up to 3rd then it will stay in that gear. so if its the computer commanding the fail safe i need a code reader in obd2(?) to see what the problem is? if im losing power to the trans could that be a bad relay or a plug or something easy? where should i begin on a pretty strapped budget for the next few weeks but hate my truck in this fail safe mode
Old 10-06-2014, 06:52 PM

Start first by scanning the vehicle for transmission codes. If you don't have a code reader, go to your local Auto Zone (other parts houses do this too) and they will scan it for you for free. You need to let us know what the P codes are-example; P1800. From there, we can figure out what is happening.

Please note that 1996 model year trucks were KNOWN for having faulty ignition switches that will cause power loss to the transmission intermittently, and default the unit to 3rd gear only.

If you pull codes and there are fault codes stored for every solenoid inside the transmission then you know you have a power supply issue. If you only have a code for a single solenoid, then you have a faulty solenoid and the computer is then commanding fail-safe.

Let us know what you find with the scan.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Please note that 1996 model year trucks were KNOWN for having faulty ignition switches that will cause power loss to the transmission intermittently
yup it sure did! TRNW Store: Transmission Power Relay System this gave me the idea how to fix it, built this basicly, except i got a relay and wires at napa and didnt buy this for 80 bucks i think i spent 20 bucks at napa. trannys been shifting sweet i feel like im in truck heaven again, now the the trucks going to get some more loving thanks
Quote:
Kawabuggy!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Happy to hear you got it figured out. Nothing better than driving a vehicle that first time after a repair and everything works as it should. Puts a dirt-eating grin on my face from ear to ear.

Tags
4l60e, 96 chevy, shift problems, vortec 305

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in