4x4 trans in 2wd? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2020, 08:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

4x4 trans in 2wd?

I'm starting to look for parts to convert my '95 F250 to GM LS engine.. I can find '99-'02 LS 4.8 and 5.3's trucks running with broken/ rusted frames for $1,200 all day long... But they are 4x4 and my truck is 2wd

Will it really hurt anything if I just leave the T-case in place? I have to fabricate a trans crossmember anyway, likely combining the Ford outer with the GM inner..

I guess I could swap my truck to 4x4 as well, since I know where a '95 4x4 F350 is but that's a ballgame that I don't want to get into.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 08:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Depends on the transfer case. In the vast majority of cases you can't with modern transfer cases.

Even then I doubt that it is a good idea since you will lose horses to the rear wheels both due the extra weight and to the extra rotating mass.

What you can do is to swap a rwd output shaft into whatever transmission you get and find the correct extension housing. Not real easy, but probably the best way if you get a 4x4.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Kind of spendy for what it is....
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...using-adapter/

Old 03-29-2020, 10:03 PM

This should be addressed

The 4l60e is a "light transmission" and if your going to be making any horsepower I would not even bother with it. You can make them "better". But for the same money starting with a different transmission is a better choice.

If you want the overdrive then run a 4l80e or a Manual.

If your gearing allows, running a th400 is your best bet for high horsepower applications.

Personally for a truck a t-18/19 or a sm465 is my go to. The sm465 is a direct bolt up and is well documented.

From what I remember your thinking of manually shifting the automatic anyway so going with a manual that bolts up may keep things easy.

If you have a 3.42 to 3.73 rear I personally see no need for overdrive and would run a th400 or sm465. The added overdrive gear causes issues and most do not like to be used under a load.
A nv3500 comes to mind. It is a good transmission for stock to mild horsepower. But if your going over 400hp then you will find the things limitations fast. A 4500 is the next level up. But they are like gold and they get grabbed up fast.

The 4l80e is a good transmission that can be found much easier then the 4500. But we are back to manually shifting the thing. If your going to go automatic and are going to be making any horsepower the 4l80e is a good overdrive choice.

The sm465 is one of those transmissions that has earned my respect. They won't leave you on the side of the road. The things are easy to rebuild and are stupid simple. There are a couple issues with the thing popping out of gear which have well documented easy fixes.

The thing does have a horrible 2nd to 3rd gear drop. But your taking off in 2nd with this thing and shifting into 3rd around 15mph. Once into 3rd you can run that up to 60mph and slap the shifter forward of backward if you want to go faster or have some engine braking.

The thing will run with bad bearings, with bad seals (if the thing sounds nosier then usual your probably running it dry), the only thing that will stop a sm465 is when the input shaft shears off (usually due to a bell breaking). They twist before this happens and the nv4500 uses the same diameter input shaft. It does happen but it takes some massive amounts of abuse to happen. Your going to break a great amount of components while that transmission laughs before you hurt a sm465. Any overdrive will fail long before a sm465 will. The only transmissions I would submit to the same level of abuse one of my sm465's encounter is "some" th400's or a modified 4l80e.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
But it allows the use of an entire $1,200 parts truck
Old 03-30-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
This should be addressed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHV3SM3XfEA

The 4l60e is a "light transmission" and if your going to be making any horsepower I would not even bother with it. You can make them "better". But for the same money starting with a different transmission is a better choice.

If you want the overdrive then run a 4l80e or a Manual.

If your gearing allows, running a th400 is your best bet for high horsepower applications.

Personally for a truck a t-18/19 or a sm465 is my go to. The sm465 is a direct bolt up and is well documented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuS8h4hshe4

From what I remember your thinking of manually shifting the automatic anyway so going with a manual that bolts up may keep things easy.

If you have a 3.42 to 3.73 rear I personally see no need for overdrive and would run a th400 or sm465. The added overdrive gear causes issues and most do not like to be used under a load.
A nv3500 comes to mind. It is a good transmission for stock to mild horsepower. But if your going over 400hp then you will find the things limitations fast. A 4500 is the next level up. But they are like gold and they get grabbed up fast.

The 4l80e is a good transmission that can be found much easier then the 4500. But we are back to manually shifting the thing. If your going to go automatic and are going to be making any horsepower the 4l80e is a good overdrive choice.

The sm465 is one of those transmissions that has earned my respect. They won't leave you on the side of the road. The things are easy to rebuild and are stupid simple. There are a couple issues with the thing popping out of gear which have well documented easy fixes.

The thing does have a horrible 2nd to 3rd gear drop. But your taking off in 2nd with this thing and shifting into 3rd around 15mph. Once into 3rd you can run that up to 60mph and slap the shifter forward of backward if you want to go faster or have some engine braking.

The thing will run with bad bearings, with bad seals (if the thing sounds nosier then usual your probably running it dry), the only thing that will stop a sm465 is when the input shaft shears off (usually due to a bell breaking). They twist before this happens and the nv4500 uses the same diameter input shaft. It does happen but it takes some massive amounts of abuse to happen. Your going to break a great amount of components while that transmission laughs before you hurt a sm465. Any overdrive will fail long before a sm465 will. The only transmissions I would submit to the same level of abuse one of my sm465's encounter is "some" th400's or a modified 4l80e.
doubtful I'll go with any power over what a stock 4L60E can handle. Not going for a 6.0L, just a 4.8 or 5.3L

This adapter plate would allow me to use the stock ZF5 manual which is plenty strong for anything. Spendy but less than a used trans. https://dellowconversions.com.au/pro...aptor-plate-5/
Old 03-30-2020, 05:53 PM

Thanked 1,008 Times in 832 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4L80E-2WD-T...ry!13904!US!-1

This what I did to my 4L80. I had someone else make the tailshaft/housing swap. You have t keep track of what year 4L80 you have. Are you going to have anyone go through the trans? If yes, then this swap takes virtually no labor.

X2 on ditching the 4L60 unless you're handy at fixing them - they are cheap to get parts for if you can handle the labor end. Most southeners aren't familiar with the quantity of 4WD cores up here in the rust belt.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in