Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 5.7 Chevy Vortec exhaust manifolds
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Panhead

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaintoast View Post
Depending on what they are going in as far as figment goes, they are one of your better choices for manifolds. I've personally used them on a metric chassis (g body) and I think the passengers side will touch the frame rail. They are fairly wide manifolds but pretty good. As was said by someone else, they have a habit of warping, so instead of junkyard shopping you may just want to order the doorman replacements and save headaches installing them.
I take it you are refering to the stock replacement log type manifolds. I am quite suprised that the old ram horns will work on this application. To be honest I find that hard to believe.
As far as what this engine is going into. Hopefully a 62-65 C-10 so I will have plenty of room for anything I choose. The ram horns have a built in bracket on the drivers side manifold for the alternator to pivot. If I go with the log manifolds I will have to make a bracket for the alternator to pivot. I also wonder about clearance with the starter. I believe a lot of the 5.7 Vortec engines use a Hi-Torque starter which is quite a bit smaller than the traditional stock 327 monster.