Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 53 Belair conv rust repair
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 8,010 Times in 4,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
John ,I don't know the frame width on the 53 car but a 53 truck a Pacer ,(did I say that ) is as close to a direct bolt in you can get it has I think 8 bolts then you set complete cradle out with ps pdisc rack $ pinion sway bars shocks all in ! unit just bolt it under I will go measure my frame width if you need me to ,,also the change narrows front track width 1 inch if that matters.
LOL. just how plentiful are Pacer front ends? Seriously there some of the old technology really did work.

This a couple of years premature but here is what I am thinking.

When I built my Merc and put it on the '69 Skylark frame I had to deal with the front steer. I did it by making mounting pads that sat on the modified front frame horns. That eliminated the need for the radiator support. I used (I think) a '71 impala cross flow radiator. I could mount the front fenders and shim each side individually making front end alignment a breeze. I had a radiator that was factory matched to the 402 I was running and lastly, I fabricated all my inner fenders, splash panels, lower fender braces, radiator mounts.

Think about it. NO RUSTY SHEET METAL to deal with. I will see if I can come up with a picture of the Merc under the hood. I just don't know yet if there is enough room in front of the wheels to make the S10 clip work. Anyway I have lots of nights to think about this as sleep sneaks up on me. Thanks David.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-07-2014)