Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   53 Belair conv rust repair (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/53-belair-conv-rust-repair-233635.html)

ttrotter 07-07-2013 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=John long;1691365]My son-in-law came yesterday and brought work cloths with him. Tim has a nice '39 Chevy street rod he bought a few years ago but is really interested i the fabrication part of the hobby and is always interested in learning something new. I turned him loose on making the front LH body mount. I think He did an awsome job. You don't know how much I enjoyed working with him today.

Had a blast working some metal with you! Thanks for all your patience and guidance with a novice like me. Makes me appreciate even more all that goes into this hobby.

Too Many Projects 07-07-2013 07:20 PM

Now you've got him posting on the forum...:cool:

Always glad to see another bowtie guy...:D

I wish I lived close enough to be his apprentice.

MARTINSR 07-07-2013 11:30 PM

[quote=ttrotter;1691884]
Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1691365)
My son-in-law came yesterday and brought work cloths with him. Tim has a nice '39 Chevy street rod he bought a few years ago but is really interested i the fabrication part of the hobby and is always interested in learning something new. I turned him loose on making the front LH body mount. I think He did an awsome job. You don't know how much I enjoyed working with him today.

Had a blast working some metal with you! Thanks for all your patience and guidance with a novice like me. Makes me appreciate even more all that goes into this hobby.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome: You are lucky to have such a talented guy to show you the ropes.

Brian

killeratrod 07-09-2013 09:40 PM

seems to me old school sure works well. great project choice to boot! thanks for the show!!!

John long 07-17-2013 01:59 PM

Thanks Killer,

I change my plans a little due to the bad frame mount being a little spongy. It needs to be replaced so I can shim the cowl.

I drilled out the factory rivets holding this body mount bracket to the frame. The new plasma cutter was the berries for cutting the 1/8 in material I bought. It is way to heavy to be able to form. Hopefully, I will get them ground and tacked together later today but getting the old one out and the new pieces cut constitutes more than my 5 minutes in the garage. :D

John

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...psfce911d3.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8e705627.jpg

MARTINSR 07-17-2013 02:33 PM

I love this stuff John! Hey and remember if you are going to blast anything that "Black Diamond" REALLY works well, much better than sand.

I forget if we had discussed this stuff before.

Brian

John long 07-17-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1695427)
I love this stuff John! Hey and remember if you are going to blast anything that "Black Diamond" REALLY works well, much better than sand.

I forget if we had discussed this stuff before.

Brian

Yes, I have used Black Diamond and it is good.

That said, there is nothing, absolutely nothing I hate more than sand blasting. I wish there was someone close to me who did it.

John

1971BB427 07-17-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1695413)
Thanks Killer,

I change my plans a little due to the bad frame mount being a little spongy. It needs to be replaced so I can shim the cowl.

I drilled out the factory rivets holding this body mount bracket to the frame. The new plasma cutter was the berries for cutting the 1/8 in material I bought. It is way to heavy to be able to form. Hopefully, I will get them ground and tacked together later today but getting the old one out and the new pieces cut constitutes more than my 5 minutes in the garage. :D

John

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...psfce911d3.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8e705627.jpg

Those look great just cut out! A plasma cutter sure is a time saver!

John long 07-17-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971BB427 (Post 1695431)
Those look great just cut out! A plasma cutter sure is a time saver!

Boy you can believe that. I took a 1 1/2 X 1/4 wood trim strip and used it as a straight edge. As luck would have it, it was the perfect thickness to put the edge of the ceramic cup on it and it not only gave me a guide but held my tip at the perfect distance off the metal. Sometimes life is just plum good.

John

boothboy 07-17-2013 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John this photo tells so much. I absolutely love it!
Thanks

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

MARTINSR 07-17-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boothboy (Post 1695440)
John this photo tells so much. I absolutely love it!
Thanks

It exhibits exactly what I was talking about on another thread where I said "There is no difference between building a car from scratch and waxing one, only the amount of steps needed". I sure as hell don't mean to sound like John has no more skill and experience than the dude down the street waxing his Chevy Cruze, not in the least bit. But look at that photo, if someone breaks it down enough, (with guidance like John is providing in this thread) anyone can do this! Most anyone who visits this forum could cut one of those piece of metal right? Break it down enough and it is right there to do!

Again, please don't take this to say this is no big deal, that is NOT what I am saying. This is a HUGE project being done by someone with PILES of talent and experience. But breaking it down like this "demystifies" it.

Damn I love this, this thread is a kick.

Brian

John long 07-17-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1695449)
It exhibits exactly what I was talking about on another thread where I said "There is no difference between building a car from scratch and waxing one, only the amount of steps needed". I sure as hell don't mean to sound like John has no more skill and experience than the dude down the street waxing his Chevy Cruze, not in the least bit. But look at that photo, if someone breaks it down enough, (with guidance like John is providing in this thread) anyone can do this! Most anyone who visits this forum could cut one of those piece of metal right? Break it down enough and it is right there to do!

Again, please don't take this to say this is no big deal, that is NOT what I am saying. This is a HUGE project being done by someone with PILES of talent and experience. But breaking it down like this "demystifies" it.

Brian

You are not going to hurt my feelings Brian. I agree with you 100%. My whole purpose of starting this thread was to show anyone with a few tools could do this. It does not require gobs of skill but it does require a tremendous amount of patience as well as commitment. I don't think a person could do this just because they want to have a car finished. I believe they have to enjoy the build itself. You have to want to be in the garage and enjoy the journey.:thumbup:

Tacked my frame bracket together. :)

John

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09823b48.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps458e7c69.jpg

MARTINSR 07-17-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1695464)
You are not going to hurt my feelings Brian. I agree with you 100%. My whole purpose of starting this thread was to show anyone with a few tools could do this. It does not require gobs of skill but it does require a tremendous amount of patience as well as commitment. I don't think a person could do this just because they want to have a car finished. I believe they have to enjoy the build itself. You have to want to be in the garage and enjoy the journey.:thumbup:

Tacked my frame bracket together. :)

John

You are so right, and this is why I love the out and out show car so much. A guy doesn't build a car like that because he wants a car. He builds it with passion, the passion is seen in the work. And I mean a REAL show car not just a car that's been in a car show. I am talking those cars where you could take the friggin rear end out and show it alone on a stand and people would gawk at it, you know what I mean?

And what is really exciting to me, is when you talk to some guy at a show while admiring his car and find out he built it in his garage and it's his first car! There is a 56 Vette in the town next to me like this, it is a STUNNINGLY restored car that is way better than it came off the line. It was his first attempt, he didn't even have a tool in the garage outside of sockets and wrenches when he started. I love that stuff, looking at that friggin frame bracket you made actually made me smile, I just dig it. :D

You created something that didn't exist yesterday, that is just plain cool.

Brian

boothboy 07-17-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1695449)

Brian

Amen!

John long 07-17-2013 07:27 PM

I know I have beat this piece to death but here it is except for punching the holes and putting the reinforcement in the small end.

I tired but tickled.

BTW Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement guys. :)

John

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...psc94915db.jpg