Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   53 Belair conv rust repair (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/53-belair-conv-rust-repair-233635.html)

John long 06-09-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1683277)
not sure what he didn't like about it,,, I had a truck just like his I put a camaro clip in mine and drove GREAT... Was worth every bit of the work to me... The truck didn't lean over when making a turn like it did before,,, Turn on a dime... I was hooked the first time a guy gave me a ride in his 1950 chevy truck with a camaro clip,,, Went home and did mine..... Loved it..Wouldn't have it any other way..;)

Hopefully Brian will post here and elaborate. I have been pleased with all I have done. Admittedly, they are not beautiful.

John

sedanbob 06-09-2013 09:40 PM

Looking forward to watching this build. Always loved the '53 and '54 chevys so it's nice to see one saved.

MARTINSR 06-09-2013 09:49 PM

I didn't like how it looked, and I didn't like how wide it was, I just feel it isn't the way to go. Handling, oh hell yes it would work good as far as functioning well, hell yes. I just didn't like how it looked and how wide it was. Cutting up the front rad support, I just didn't like it. It was like trying to put a size 12 foot in a size 9 shoe.

Brian

deadbodyman 06-09-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedanbob (Post 1683290)
Looking forward to watching this build. Always loved the '53 and '54 chevys so it's nice to see one saved.

and its a vert too...:thumbup::thumbup:

NEW INTERIORS 06-09-2013 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1683284)
Hopefully Brian will post here and elaborate. I have been pleased with all I have done. Admittedly, they are not beautiful.

John

Mr. John you can make them look nice... Here's one I did on my 57 chevy..

MARTINSR 06-09-2013 11:13 PM

Just not my thing Randy, it looks as beautiful as you could possibly do one, but it isn't my thing. And on a 57 that is a whole different thing, especially the truck. Heck the frame width is almost identical, they work great from what I have seen on the 55-59 Chevy pickup. But on the earlier cars and trucks, they just don't do it for me.

Brian

John long 06-09-2013 11:14 PM

Brian has a valid point about them really looking tacky when one is installed that is to wide. That is a real problem with the shoebox Fords and early Chevies. The S-10 is 2 inches narrower than the 53 according to the Cranksheft Coalition. That part should be fine but the radiator support is a whole nuther issue. I don't want my steering box hanging out into the grill. before I am ready there will be plenty of cars at the shows I can look at. :)

I have a Buddy with a trashed S-10 frame. If the steering box is still on it I may run up and take some measurements.

John long 06-09-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1683300)
Mr. John you can make them look nice... Here's one I did on my 57 chevy..

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1683326)
Just not my thing Randy, it looks as beautiful as you could possibly do one, but it isn't my thing. And on a 57 that is a whole different thing, especially the truck. Heck the frame width is almost identical, they work great from what I have seen on the 55-59 Chevy pickup. But on the earlier cars and trucks, they just don't do it for me.

Brian

Obviously what we are selling he ain't buyin. :D:thumbup::)

We'll see.

John

NEW INTERIORS 06-09-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1683333)

We'll see.

John

Not trying to sell anything here,,, Just saying when it's done right you can beat them..Do what you like..;)

John long 06-09-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1683340)
Not trying to sell anything here,,, Just saying when it's done right you can beat them..Do what you like..;)

The fact that we all like to do our own thing is why we are hot rodders and not antiquers, :thumbup:

MARTINSR 06-09-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1683333)

We'll see.

John

And obviously it depends on what your build is all about. If you wanted the car to be a traditional 50's build then you couldn't use it because it didn't exist in the 50's. There are a lot of reasons why you wouldn't use one. And lots of reasons why you would, just as what color to paint the car or what motor, that's all. :thumbup:

Brian

MARTINSR 06-09-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1683344)
The fact that we all like to do our own thing is why we are hot rodders and not antiquers, :thumbup:

Exactly. :thumbup: My God would it be boring to go to a show and see a building full of only what I like. Or more importantly what I think I like, I could see something someone else built that I never gave a second thought to and it's awesome! Of course this happens all the time actually, it's one of the reasons I go to shows.

Brian

MARTINSR 06-10-2013 12:07 AM

I can't stress enough, it was a personal thing for what I wanted my truck to be. It's that simple, it's like I decided to put five spoke Americans on it, that's all.

Brian

John long 06-10-2013 06:35 PM

I finished fabbing the A pillar down to the top of the rocker. I need to slip the body mount and corner of the floor pan in before I go any lower.

I have started fabricating the mount but not gotten very far.

John

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...psf12dbd76.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps794040aa.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1d770881.jpg

MARTINSR 06-11-2013 12:25 AM

Looking good! I love that tool. :D

Brian