Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   53 Belair conv rust repair (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/53-belair-conv-rust-repair-233635.html)

deadbodyman 06-11-2013 06:03 AM

love that floor brace john .... You are a tricky one arnt ya...so glad you didnt just throw a piece of angle iron in there....you gots sum skilz dude...:thumbup:

John long 06-11-2013 07:57 AM

Thanks guys. Obviously. i have way way to much time on my hands.:drunk:

John

NEW INTERIORS 06-11-2013 10:31 AM

Looking very nice....:thumbup:

Too Many Projects 06-12-2013 08:43 PM

Did you get the rockers yet so you have something to aim the other pieces at ?

John long 06-12-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1684295)
Did you get the rockers yet so you have something to aim the other pieces at ?

Both the rockers and my plasma cutter came today. The UPS guy looked just like Santa to me. :)

I spent the time I had today working on the front body mount. I will post some pictures. I made three designs before I got one that was acceptable. I have not drilled the mounting holes. I will do that after I get the inner rocker positioned so I can be sure of it's exact location. I also need to get some heavy material to reinforce it so it won't collapse when I tighten the body down.

Lots of welding left before it is one piece.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f55d6de.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5adc0521.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...pse8b58259.jpg

MARTINSR 06-12-2013 11:47 PM

:thumbup: Awesome John! :thumbup:

Brian

NEW INTERIORS 06-12-2013 11:49 PM

Nice job Mr.John !!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

timothale 06-13-2013 05:26 AM

frame strength

with that much body rust I am wondering how strong the frame is. And wondering why you didn't do it like your merc with a newer chassis-floor. I looked at a 58 Ford retractable hardtop convert that was in bad shape , rusted out like your chevy , and passed it by Too much work for me.

496CHEVY3100 06-13-2013 07:52 AM

If you enjoy the car after complete ,it is not to much work.:D

MARTINSR 06-13-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 (Post 1684423)
If you enjoy the car after complete ,it is not to much work.:D

Honestly, sometimes building the car is joy more than driving it. It's like the old quote "The journey is the destination".

Brian

white72gs455 06-13-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1683747)
Thanks guys. Obviously. i have way way to much time on my hands.:drunk:

John

If you have too much time on your hands, swing by and put some of that expertise to use on my Buick!

I had to chime in, you are a real craftsman!:thumbup:

carolinacustoms 06-13-2013 02:30 PM

John, I see you have things completely under control. While reading through the posts, I had a thought reading all the options on clips, aftermarket pieces and your Mercury build. Would it be a reasonable thought worth any time to consider using a whole frame from a S-10 or other full frame vehicle (forgive me here, but what about a ranger? I think the track is maybe a little narrower than a S-10)? I'm just asking, because I have no specs on width of either frame, simply just a thought. I'm sure it would have to be shortened, I just didn't know if that would solve the issues with the clip width adn matching to the older frame. I have heard of people doing that with the older trucks to save time and money, don't know if it would be an option for the cars or not.

Kelly

John long 06-13-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinacustoms (Post 1684536)
John, I see you have things completely under control. While reading through the posts, I had a thought reading all the options on clips, aftermarket pieces and your Mercury build. Would it be a reasonable thought worth any time to consider using a whole frame from a S-10 or other full frame vehicle (forgive me here, but what about a ranger? I think the track is maybe a little narrower than a S-10)? I'm just asking, because I have no specs on width of either frame, simply just a thought. I'm sure it would have to be shortened, I just didn't know if that would solve the issues with the clip width adn matching to the older frame. I have heard of people doing that with the older trucks to save time and money, don't know if it would be an option for the cars or not.

Kelly

Thanks for the thought you have given this Kelly. The origional convertible frame has a massive crossmember under it. I really don't believe the bennefits would out way the work that would be required to do the frame swap nor do I believe the end product would be nearly as stiff as the origional frame.

John

carolinacustoms 06-13-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1684557)
Thanks for the thought you have given this Kelly. The origional convertible frame has a massive crossmember under it. I really don't believe the bennefits would out way the work that would be required to do the frame swap nor do I believe the end product would be nearly as stiff as the origional frame.

John

Like I said John simply just a thought. You could always set it on a shortened F350 frame:mwink:, with a nice powerstroke or maybe a detroit engine? :cool: (Just having a little fun.) Looking good so far sir. If you ever get bored give me a ring. I could use a man with your talent in my shop for a while, and i would only be about a 3 1/2 hour drive :thumbup:

Kelly

John long 06-13-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinacustoms (Post 1684654)
Like I said John simply just a thought. You could always set it on a shortened F350 frame:mwink:, with a nice powerstroke or maybe a detroit engine? :cool: (Just having a little fun.) Looking good so far sir. If you ever get bored give me a ring. I could use a man with your talent in my shop for a while, and i would only be about a 3 1/2 hour drive :thumbup:

Kelly

Boy would you loose a lot of customers. When they got the 300 dollar labor bill for the 79 dollar brace, they would get real unhappy real quick. :D

Thanks for the kind words.

John