53 Belair conv rust repair - Page 50 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Wiki Edits: 0

barry turned me onto his trick for doors and stuff. mix up epoxy with a little reducer then pour in the door and run it around to coat it. works good for doors with little access . the hard part is shoving my 3/8 nozzle into the door and get it cleaned up.
looking good john .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,930 Times in 4,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
barry turned me onto his trick for doors and stuff. mix up epoxy with a little reducer then pour in the door and run it around to coat it. works good for doors with little access . the hard part is shoving my 3/8 nozzle into the door and get it cleaned up.
looking good john .
Thanks Shine. I ordered a gallon of SPI Epoxy from Barry yesterday and ironically we discussed the same thing. Actually I was conplaining about having to throw away left over product and he gave some really good ideas on how to put it use. That was one of them.

Of course, your doors do have to have bottoms for that to work.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-08-2014)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

and folks wonder why i love corvettes
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
John long (11-19-2013)

Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
looking good john .
Just be certain that your weep holes are open afterwards! My '69 Suburban was done that way when they repainted it, and they didn't check the weep holes. First year I had it I kept hearing what I thought was gas sloshing around in the tank, but I wondered why I heard it with a full tank of gas.
I got to looking around and discovered the passenger side door was half full of rain water! Drilled out the weep holes and it drained for about 15 minutes!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
John long (11-19-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

My goal today was to get the fourth row body mounts and cross member welded in today but I was kidding myself. There is a reinforcement that goes in the body mount that does not come with the mount. I had to make something to go in there and you know me. I decided to reproduce the original.

Here is a shot of the one I cut out of the rusted mount, the cardboard template I made, and the pieces I cut out of 12 gauge with my plasma cutter.

After bending them, drilling them, welding a nut inside and finally welding them into the mounts.

Have I mentioned how much I love my plasma cutter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-21-2013), MARTINSR (11-20-2013), pm5471 (03-06-2015)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,120 Posts
That's cheesy that they didn't come with the attaching nut...

Where did you get those cheap parts...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

Brushing epoxy question if I may?

Did I read right, you were going to brush epoxy in the house? How did it work out and can the bush parts be sanded to take paint that looks good? I am stuck on one side of a 2 car attached garage. My last house had a garage at the back of yard, not attached. I was so happy when I bought the attached garage house! Until the first time I opened up a rear end on an old van. The whole house stunk like gear oil for a week. Then the time I spilled 2 gallons of gas changing a fuel tank out……. I do have an exhaust fan installed this winter and a fresh air supply. Do you think I could get away with brushing epoxy and be able to paint it later? And not have the wife toss all my stuff on the lawn again?

There is only so many times I can bring my stuff back in the house. I think.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
That's cheesy that they didn't come with the attaching nut...

Where did you get those cheap parts...
LOL. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.....They look awful good to me.

These mounts are made of 16 gauge metal and may not need the reinforcement but it cant hurt to have it there. They seem to fit really well and I truly believe they are the best on the market. I am truly thankful to have them.

For any guests that may not have been reading this thread at the time these mounts were sent to me anonymously a couple of months ago. Pretty cool and very much appreciated.

I can't wait to get these babies welded in and get this thing sitting on it's own mounts. Won't be long.
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-08-2014)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

Did I read right, you were going to brush epoxy in the house? How did it work out and can the bush parts be sanded to take paint that looks good? I am stuck on one side of a 2 car attached garage. My last house had a garage at the back of yard, not attached. I was so happy when I bought the attached garage house! Until the first time I opened up a rear end on an old van. The whole house stunk like gear oil for a week. Then the time I spilled 2 gallons of gas changing a fuel tank out……. I do have an exhaust fan installed this winter and a fresh air supply. Do you think I could get away with brushing epoxy and be able to paint it later? And not have the wife toss all my stuff on the lawn again?

You know this is the first time I have done it but it worked well. I did not brush it in the house but in the basement garage. Fumes were a minimum since there was nothing sprayed into the air.

I did speak to Barry at SPI and he offered some suggestionss.

Do a couple of coats. Film thickness is important for epoxy to do its job.

Since the reducer does not come out as it would during the spraying process wait 2-3 hours between coats and let it flash dry to the touch.

If you use the SPI Epoxy, you will get more film thickness than with most of the other Mfr's and you will have a better product to sand so you can be sure you won't end up with brush marks. (My words, not Barry's)

I probably will not brush it anywhere but the inside of the pieces I am making but it is great to know it is appropriate to do it and a viable alternative for small parts, inside of doors, etc.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
CraigK (11-20-2013), MARTINSR (08-08-2014)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,120 Posts
Quote:

Do you think I could get away with brushing epoxy and be able to paint it later? And not have the wife toss all my stuff on the lawn again?

Next time you are going to make a stink, be pre-emptive. Throw her stuff on the lawn first and let her know the stink comes with the license...
Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Next time you are going to make a stink, be pre-emptive. Throw her stuff on the lawn first and let her know the stink comes with the license...
oh my
oh my goodness!
Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for the advice John. I am going to try the brush thing on my floor this weekend. If I duff it I will by carpet for the floor.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Quote:

A lot of homes have a furnace in the garage, and often it will be the source of pulling fumes into the house. If you make sure the furnace is off, and cover it so the fumes wont be sucked in during smelly operations, it will save your bacon. Also be sure you don't go into the house through the man door. Open the rollup door and enter the house from outside. It will keep fumes from migrating.
I have an attached garage, but furnace is in the basement. I have roof vents to allow fresh air to enter, and I keep the man door closed. Wife never complains about smell inside unless I open that door to go in the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
22george (01-21-2015)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,735 Posts
Try sitting a pound of coffee just opened not wet ,in front of the air intake on the AC unit it will do away with most oders ,not just cover them up,

it is what we used in our refer trailors if we lost a load of lettuce or meat'we would just sprinkle it thru the trailor close it up about 30 minutes then open and wash out ,,worked great,
if it works on a load of lettuce it should work on anything
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
22george (01-21-2015), John long (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
LOL. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.....They look awful good to me.

These mounts are made of 16 gauge metal and may not need the reinforcement but it cant hurt to have it there. They seem to fit really well and I truly believe they are the best on the market. I am truly thankful to have them.

For any guests that may not have been reading this thread at the time these mounts were sent to me anonymously a couple of months ago. Pretty cool and very much appreciated.

I can't wait to get these babies welded in and get this thing sitting on it's own mounts. Won't be long.

Did the FED EX boxes have any Great Lakes moistiure on the out side.lol
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,263 Times in 4,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
My goal today was to get the fourth row body mounts and cross member welded in today but I was kidding myself. There is a reinforcement that goes in the body mount that does not come with the mount. I had to make something to go in there and you know me. I decided to reproduce the original.

Here is a shot of the one I cut out of the rusted mount, the cardboard template I made, and the pieces I cut out of 12 gauge with my plasma cutter.

After bending them, drilling them, welding a nut inside and finally welding them into the mounts.

Have I mentioned how much I love my plasma cutter.

Damn that plasma is a sweet tool! Never used one by damn that looks like it would be nice to have!

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in