Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   53 Belair conv rust repair (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/53-belair-conv-rust-repair-233635.html)

John long 12-08-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1963066)
I knew you wouldnt stop until it stopped buggin you........good for you.
One thing I screwed up was welding the outer patch on when it was still on the table...I measured everything ,it looked fantastic but it was about 3/8 " too low (about the width of a flange) and I had no gap at all on the bottom.. it had to be takin back apart and redone,Thats a lot of wasted time ...completely welded from front to back and ground down... ever since then I use the drill screws and do a test fit...
ain nobody got time fer dat..

I am going to get a box of hex head drill screws. I can see where they would be great and the hex head should be great to run in with a cordless drill.

123pugsy 12-08-2013 06:06 PM

I had a thought earlier but forgot to post.

I'm not sure of where your weather strip makes contact but if the part of the door which touches is not dead on, you get those beauty whistling sounds we all love when we're cruising down the highway.

John long 12-08-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123pugsy (Post 1963242)
I had a thought earlier but forgot to post.

I'm not sure of where your weather strip makes contact but if the part of the door which touches is not dead on, you get those beauty whistling sounds we all love when we're cruising down the highway.

LOL, This is a convertible Pugs. Beautiful whistling sounds are standard equipment. Nobody will ever know if that weatherstrip is tight.:thumbup:

I'll run glass packs and a loud radio too.........

John

123pugsy 12-08-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1963426)
LOL, This is a convertible Pugs. Beautiful whistling sounds are standard equipment. Nobody will ever know if that weatherstrip is tight.:thumbup:

I'll run glass packs and a loud radio too.........

John

Ha.
I guess they would make noise no matter what. :D

killeratrod 12-08-2013 07:33 PM

You have done it your way for so long ,why stop now. your ride , your project , your way !!! And it is perfect the way it is!! you are a true craftsmen!!!Two Thumbs Up!!!!

carolinacustoms 12-08-2013 07:55 PM

John, the phillips head self tapping sheet metal screws work fine with a cordless drill on 18 ga and thinner. If working with 16 ga and thicker use the hex head. I have used both for sheet metal mock up and fit etc, and prefer the phillips head because the head doesn't stick out as far. Maybe it is just me, but seems like every time I use the hex head screws, I end up working around the heads. Another thing to keep in mind is the length. I keep 1/2" and 1" handy, but the longer ones are good if you are working with rounded panels such as fenders. I also need to invest in some more vise grips and clamps. They come in handy for panel fit and skin alignment as well. I was reading an article on a company that is re-manufacturing 56 bel-air bodies using jigs built after the originals. The owner was quoted saying "Our largest initial purchase was over $1,000 worth of vise grips" :D

Kelly

John long 12-08-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolinacustoms (Post 1963538)
John, the phillips head self tapping sheet metal screws work fine with a cordless drill on 18 ga and thinner. If working with 16 ga and thicker use the hex head. I have used both for sheet metal mock up and fit etc, and prefer the phillips head because the head doesn't stick out as far. Maybe it is just me, but seems like every time I use the hex head screws, I end up working around the heads. Another thing to keep in mind is the length. I keep 1/2" and 1" handy, but the longer ones are good if you are working with rounded panels such as fenders. I also need to invest in some more vise grips and clamps. They come in handy for panel fit and skin alignment as well. I was reading an article on a company that is re-manufacturing 56 bel-air bodies using jigs built after the originals. The owner was quoted saying "Our largest initial purchase was over $1,000 worth of vise grips" :D

Kelly

Thanks Kelly, I appreciate the advice.

John

killeratrod 12-08-2013 08:31 PM

well i use them in a hard spot to hold in place, then i remove them and plug weld the hole up, i never leave the screw in place!!

496CHEVY3100 12-08-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Kelly

And he is not far off, I bought a few plastic rachet clamps at home depot couple days ago ,I really like them ,SO FAR, they will not replace vice grip clamps buy they have a place .

carolinacustoms 12-08-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killeratrod (Post 1963666)
well i use them in a hard spot to hold in place, then i remove them and plug weld the hole up, i never leave the screw in place!!

I do the same thing KRR. I only use them for mocking up, test fit, etc. I always remove them and weld the holes up as well. BUT they are invaluable if used correctly. I always seem to be working in places that vise grips and clamps won't fit :smash:

John, You are more than welcome for any information I provide that may be helpful to you. I have been watching this thread since the beginning and you have likely forgotten more than I will ever know. Thank you for this thread and the great information and education here in.:thumbup:

Kelly

deadbodyman 12-09-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123pugsy (Post 1963450)
Ha.
I guess they would make noise no matter what. :D

If they dont we usually charge extra for them...:D

deadbodyman 12-09-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Kelly

I have a couple hundred buck in the ones holding my old car together.....no wonder I can never find any...

John long 12-09-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1964370)
I have a couple hundred buck in the ones holding my old car together.....no wonder I can never find any...

It is time for you to start spending your five minutes a day on your old car..........:mad:

John

deadbodyman 12-09-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long (Post 1964378)
It is time for you to start spending your five minutes a day on your old car..........:mad:

John

tell me about it ...I've barely touched it this past year ..This year will be a good one for the ole chikin coupe...

John long 12-09-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1964441)
tell me about it ...I've barely touched it this past year ..This year will be a good one for the ole chikin coupe...

The important thing is you aren't burnt out on it and are looking forward getting back to it. Hopefully that will happen soon.

I for one really loved watching it because it represents everything that interests me in hot rodding.

It is a Traditional hotrod, A challenge that most would not consider, Budget build, It is owner built, it has creative styling, and is educational to follow.

This is the type of build we can all relate to regardless of our financial status or skill level. Please get back to it when you can.

John