'57 BelAir hood alignment - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2018, 08:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiStarChief View Post
Brian, unfortunately that didn't remedy the problem. The front bolt did move slightly in the slot when I lifted the hood up high, but the corner still sits up. I have taken the photo below of where the hinge mounts to the firewall as suggested.

Someone on another forum suggested that putting a shim under the bottom hinge firewall bolt will drop the corner down, as it alters the hinge geometry.
I had a go at this, but when I loosened both firewall bolts the weight of the hood wouldn't let me move the bottom of the hinge away from the firewall to insert a shim. I was working by myself, and don't have enough grunt, so was waiting on my son-in-law to come around to assist.
Yep, that is what you need to do, shim out at the lower bolt. If you loosen that bolt you can lift it like you are opening the hood? That' show you do it, push up on the hood standing in front of the car. If you can lift it there, just put a pole to hold it and then put your shim in.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the advice Brian and John. I have done what you have suggested, including shimming out the lower hinge bolt, but it all has made almost no difference.

Apart from replacing the hinge (as the cog wheels may be out of alignment, somebody has suggested) which I would rather not do at this point, I'm left with slotting the hinge I think.

I will attempt this over the next few days, and advise back on the outcome.

Once again, I appreciate all your suggestions.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,762 Times in 2,830 Posts
Quote:
However I just wonder if it would be easier to slot the bolt holes where it bolts to the firewall by the 3/8", and drop it that way.
If you can access your hinge-to-firewall bolts somehow, with the hood already closed and latched, you could loosen or remove them and see if that corner goes down. If it does, slot / shim it so it sits in the right spot when bolted tight. Looks like that may put the washer out over the edge of the hinge but I bet you can deal with that if it solves the problem.

Since the guy with the Chevy has similar drama, this could be an inherent issue present on lots of cars made then. But, the original poster says his bounces a little going down the road. If yours also can be pushed down once closed... sorry, men... worn hinges are a prime suspect. By the same token as the above suggestion, unhook the spring and see where she sits. If it lays down then, great. But if it can still bounce, thats hinge slop.

To the OP, just be careful when affecting latch closing. I have seen too many cases where a guy gets his hood closing "nice" and needs a hood, windshield, and roof the next week. A bit of effort will be required to close a properly adjusted setup, and any movement possible when closed (such as when side bumpers are left out) is a time bomb.

In a nutshell, do whatever is necessary at the firewall. You are probably compensating for hinge wear by doing so but no matter. Its old enough that modification might be required to make things work and fit right.

The top side mounting arrangement certainly is a circus on the Pontiac anyway.

Only other tip I can think of is to be sure the right front hood height bumper is making contact.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Brian and John. I have done what you have suggested, including shimming out the lower hinge bolt, but it all has made almost no difference.

Apart from replacing the hinge (as the cog wheels may be out of alignment, somebody has suggested) which I would rather not do at this point, I'm left with slotting the hinge I think.

I will attempt this over the next few days, and advise back on the outcome.

Once again, I appreciate all your suggestions.
You could slot the hole in the front bolt on the hinge to hood easier and it WOULD bring the hood down.

In fact, it doesn't matter if the hinges are worn, it will still bring the hood down.

Brian
Old 01-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,830 Times in 4,063 Posts
Is it possible that there is a bumper, cowl lacing, or other object interfering with the hood settling down?

John

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in