57' Suburban IFS swap - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,032 Posts
No problem,I'll help you out as mush as I can.If you was here we would be riding around by now.LOL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Fattys50

Last journal entry: new ride stance

Then I would have to tackle another one new interiors I posted a couple of pics but have to take some better ones. I supported the original frame with a couple of pieces of angle and tacked in a flat bar on top for a reference point. Right now the caprice IFS is level side to side and square to the original frame. The IFS cross-member is reading a 9 degree tilt where the motor mounts are. I probably have made some unforeseen mistakes, but will tackle them with the experience of the more experienced rodders. Nothing is tacked in permanently yet.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:32 PM

When I did the 58 Chevy I tack a piece behind the cross member to hold the frame.Then remove the old cross member,It just get's in your way.I then put the back of the front clip level and then tack a piece of flat bar on the clip cross member to hold my level Then I cut the back of the clip where I need to.Then you have that flat bar to go by.Hope this helps you.If you need to pm me And I will give you my phone # you can call me And maybe I can help you out.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Fattys50

Cool i appreciate it new interiors. weather up here is starting to break a little and i will be wrenchin a bit more this week. after i get thru the front, the backend will getting the treatment. nothing will be safe once i get thru this

Last edited by fattys50; 03-12-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM

I've seen your work fattys50 and it is remarkable! Can't wait to see this one at the shows.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Fattys50

thank you for the boost in confidence luvmyvw, but it's far from remarkable. just doing what i enjoy. i have alot more work to do. new interiors, thanks for getting me back on track with the project. so far i have transferred the framerail outline to the garage floor with a plumb-bob and found a centerline of the suburban. i have to make some reference points on the garage floor and pick a couple of spots on the ifs to get it square to the frame. the pics in my journal show how the sub is going look with the new ride stance. i will be getting a lot more done tomorrow and post stuff in my journal and explain some more. any suggestions on where i should pick the points from off of the ifs? all comments welcomed.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Some help?

I tried to find the pics with the centerline but I couldn't find them. email me with more detail and I will try to help. I have many friends at work that are great at combining my math expertise with their technical knowledge.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattys50
new interiors, thanks for getting me back on track with the project.
No problem fattys50!!!! Anyway I can help you, I will,
Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Fattys50

progress has been slow going but the frame and centerline has been established on the garage floor in prep for this weekend after i get out of work. i hope to get some good pics on the project journal.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:35 AM

I am Partial

Watching you diligently work on your front end you are on the right track. You are getting closer to the end on the front. You are doing a fantastic job. We will be showing the new ride off in no time at the car shows with the kids. Luv ya Jill
Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyvw
I tried to find the pics with the centerline but I couldn't find them. email me with more detail and I will try to help. I have many friends at work that are great at combining my math expertise with their technical knowledge.
Fattys50 has high intllegence and an engineering backround. The centerline math is no problem and his streetrod knowledge gives him the edge to finish the alignment of the front end with perfection.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Fattys50

thanks for the vote of confidence but i'm getting it slowly but surely. as the weather gets better, i'll be hittin it harder.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Fattys50

checkin'er out

i added some weight to the tune of the original 283 Sunday to see how the stance would end up. i'm within an inch higher of where it was sitting with just some threaded rod. i had to remove two broken springs from the rear on each side to even things out. the newest pic i posted was without any weight. it's looking like i will have plenty of clearance for an hei distributor and BBC. but the motor will be sittin pretty low. i'm concerned with header clearance and any advice is welcome. i will definitely have some time in on welding and smoothin the two frames together but it'll get done.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble with the headers.The engines sit real low in them trucks. The 58 Chevy I did had a sbc in it,It looked like the motor was sitting on the ground.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Fattys50

slow going on the project but things are starting to pick up. looks like i have the steering figured out. my brother was in town and we went to the boneyard for fun and had a couple of good scores. i picked up a keyless tilt column out of an older chevy van and a sway bar in better condition than the one that came on the caprice. i was able to salvage the u-joints and will be able to make it work with the caprice steering, plus it's looking like there will be enough clearance for headers too. thanks NEW INTERIORS. i have to make a decision on what motor because i have a running 350+700r4 (cheap date) in my 88' sub that 's gonna get yanked and sent to the boneyard. OR get the machining work done on the big block. not sure if the saginaw will hold up to the bbc. i'm open for comments. if anyone has checked out the pics, please let me know if they are clear enough, i have been having trouble with my camera.

Last edited by fattys50; 04-18-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in