Hot Rod Forum banner

65 GTO Custom...pics wanted

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  theHIGHLANDER 
#1 ·
We're about to begin a kustomized 65 GTO. I want to do some conservative yet striking changes to this car. While they are, in my opinion, the premier GTO to have, this one's no where near original and just screams for some kool kustom tricks. I want to mod the bumpers (they're junk right now), shave the door handles, and more. What I was hoping is that some of you here have some archived pics of something from that era in full kustom treatment.

Please, please...I know all about the "sanctity" of original muscle. Anyone can do this with a Lemans or Tempest. I think it takes big stones and some good taste to kustomize a real GTO. So any pics of something similar?

#3 ·
Just a suggestion, but from what I've seen, a '65 GTO in any condition is worth more for its title and original VIN than anything else.

I'd get ahold of a Tempest or LeMans shell to Kustomize and sell off what's left of the Goat to someone who wants to do a ground-up restoration. Probably end up with a little extra cash in the process.

Regarding the mods, I think these cars can respond well to some tasteful changes. Depends on how radical you get. Modding the bumpers would probably be worth doing and the shaved handle will clean up the body a little. I always thought that chopping an inch or so off the top would look decent, especially combined with lowering the ride height a bit.

Something radical I always thought would be cool would be to cut out a section of the body right where the back seat is and shorten the frame to match, making it a two-seater, then extending the trunk deck to the back of the front seat to make a cowl similar to the newer Corvettes. That would work better on a ragtop though.

#4 ·
This car already has some substantial $ in it. It will never recover in terms of value. To do a frame off restoration wil cost as much, perhaps more, than to do a 1st rate custom. Like I said it's not a # matching big-buck car to start with. I know this is a lame way to look at it, but they've been doing this on the TV for a couple years now. Take a real car and mod it just right and sometimes there's a real winner when finished. I'm not afraid of modifying the car and I know what it takes to win. I just thought I might try to bring some traditional changes into this project along with what I have in mind for the rest of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.