65 mustang disc brake conversion issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 PM

Last journal entry: 46 mercury bobber pickup
Wiki Edits: 0

65 mustang disc brake conversion issues

Hi everybody, i am working on a friends 65 mustang fastback. A beautiful car, it needed a few things so im helping him out.
he bought an ebay 4 wheel disc conversion kit, it was a complete kit with the worst set of installation instructions ive ever seen.
im having a problem bleeding the system, ive been at it for a couple days now. Ive probably taken the master cylinder out 4 times to bench bleed it, its still not bleeding properly. I noticed when it is in my vice and im stroking it the front resevior give a healthy flow but the rear resevior appears to be quite a bit less flow. When pumping the brake pedal it does not firm up hardly at all. Could it be a bad madter cylinder?
When bleeding the calipers the fronts give a good solid flow when opening the bleeders and the rears are considerably less.
also the brake booster is an issue. The engine has a huge cam so i went to the wrecker and bought a vacuum pump from a deisel pickup. I have installed it and it pulls 18" of vacuum, however the booster doesnt appear to be doing anything at all.
Could the booster be junk as well?
Hopefully ive just missed something obvious.
any thoughts?☺

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Have you a master cylinder that is intended for 4 wheel disk brakes. That may be a source of difficulty. The booster may not show much effect when the car is setting still. Sounds like separate issues to me.

Sam
Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 PM

The kit is a 4 wheel disc kit, im assuming the mc is correct. How can you tell the difference between a disc/disc and a disc/drum mc?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild

Hi
There are a couple of differences between these mc's. One is the amount of fluid, drum drakes need a lot less fluid as the wheel cylinders only move a small amount then retract, where disc. Move a fair amount and don't retract thus needing more fluid to take up that space the Pistons moved. Also the drum mc has a 10# residual valve, and if used for disc. You wouldn't have enough fluid and the disc. would drag because of the residual valve. Also if you use a drum mc without a residual valve, you will have a spoungy pedal, and the brake pedal will have to be pumped several times to get it to stop.
Good luck
Rich
Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild

hello again.
About the booster, power brakes have a larger piston in the mc then a manual mc. So if you think the booster isn't working try pushing the pedal, with engine off very hard to push, now try it with the engine running, is it still very hard to push, or is it easer to push indicating the booster is working.
Rich
Ps the larger the piston, the harder it is to push the pedal.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:53 AM

Good info on the mc and booster, i think i have the right parts. It just wont firm up. I guess ill bleed the thing yet again. The booster does nothing, car running or not .
Old 07-17-2015, 05:38 PM

FWIW, I did a conversion on a 65 Mustang and had about the same problem, could not get enough fluid moving to have adequate brake function. I moved the pivot point on the pedal in order to get alot more pushrod travel and got acceptable braking, but still not ideal. I dont know that any of the low dollar kits out there are really engineered properly, as the combination of the calipers, the booster, the pedal ratio, the rotor diameter, etc. all play a part in getting really good brakes. But they are cheap.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in