'68 Nova "Kaitlyn" build thread. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'68 Nova "Kaitlyn" build thread.

Okay, so I introduced myself and said I would post my engine issues in another section. I saw that there was a project section, and this seems like the best place for all of this. SO! Here we go. Grab a beer and put the ratchet down, time for some entertainment!

Meet Kaitlyn. She's a '68 Nova, she sports four doors (a strong B pillar is never a bad thing) and she came complete with a hacked up, beat down 350 small block and TH350. It's a pretty standard setup in my experience... And somewhat disappointing.

IMAG0330

Anyways, I found her on Craigslist. The ad advertised a '68 Nova that had been set up for drag racing... Fuel cell in the trunk (ugh), 327 Small block (better) and four speed with a B&M shifter (sweet!). So, I go look at it. The interior is partially restored, it has a B&M ratchet shifter in it (I assumed it must have been a 2004R or 700R4), and it obviously had a small block. I told the guy if I could get it running and drive it home, I would buy it.

After diagnosing the no crank no start issue to be caused by a battery cable mix up (both cables were hooked to the negative battery post), I flipped the switches for the electric fuel pump, water pump and cooling fans. I didn't know which switch did what, so they all got flipped! I pumped the pedal once and turned the key. It fired right up. She was rough running, wouldn't idle and the exhaust was a leak factory. But it fired, and I drove it home.

Once home, I could take a better look at her. I checked the casting on the heads. I was curious to see what had been done to this "drag racing" car. This is what I saw:

IMAG0333

So... I popped the valve cover, hoping that my memory had faulted. It wasnt a faulty memory... It was in fact a casting number that ended in 624. I thought "okay... better check the block casting, these are heads that are likely from a 350". So that's what I did... And I saw this:

IMAG0334

I checked the number. It returned to a 350. The transmission only had three forward gears, and reverse. I guess that's where they got four speed from...? haha, I looked inder the car and it was a TH350.

There I had it. The car I bought was nothing as it was advertised. No sweat. I have dealt with worse.

Next step: I got online and ordered parts from Summit. From gas tank to carb. All of it. Mechanical fuel pump, Holley 4150, steel lines, clamps, straps and sender. ALL of it. That's where I decided to start. I later looked in the radiator because I noticed that the top radiator hose was building cold pressure. I saw instant temper tantrum. What I like to call goop, that slimy stuff you get when you mix petroleum and coolant, was on the surface of the coolant in the radiator. I assumed either my 624s were cracked or a head gasket was DOA. Either way, I'm putting heads on it. I found a set of Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads on ebay for $500 bucks. They don't scare me. I bought them and they are in a box on a truck now.

IMAG0345

I cleaned the stickers, window tint and useless old crap out of her. There was overspray on the windows. I cleaned that, too, and now she looks a little better:

IMAG0346

I fixed a broken wing window. I'm too cheap to buy a new one, and even if I wanted to, I can't seem to locate one for a four door... So, WELD IT!

IMAG0338

And Now I'm installing new parts. I'll get some pictures up and tell you all the story when I'm done with the fuel system.

Thanks for reading! -Rowdy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in