69 Chevelle quarter panel replacement - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,021 Times in 2,765 Posts
NICE !! You must have metal fabrication equipment and experience to get that nice rolled bend on the top.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,423 Times in 3,192 Posts
The rocker patch sure does look good! In retrospect, that fire may be the best thing to happen to the Chevelle since it was born. It's pleasing to see how you're handling this, and you will be so glad when the work is done. Keep the updates coming.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
NICE !! You must have metal fabrication equipment and experience to get that nice rolled bend on the top.
Haha nope! This was a POS outer rocker patch panel from some random company it was $30 bucks. The bends are completely off compared to the stock rocker and that's why I cut it up.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
The rocker patch sure does look good! In retrospect, that fire may be the best thing to happen to the Chevelle since it was born. It's pleasing to see how you're handling this, and you will be so glad when the work is done. Keep the updates coming.
Thanks! I've never done any sheet metal work until this car and I had no plans too! It's so tedious to get everything right. This brings me to my next thought. I pretty sure I'm going to take the other quarter off. I have a feeling that it will be the best way to get the gaps right since I would be relying on the previous awesome work on the RH side. I'm also assuming that they replaced the rear panel as well. The LH side is about 3/8" off compared to the trunk.

I have a couple things I need to figure out:

-I need to find out how far the trunk extension goes does since they patched that.

-I need to figure out how the tail light extensions are to mount. There are 3 holes that are punched in the quarter, but they don't line up with the extensions.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Hmm on the trunk extension, I'd need a part pic to understand.

Moving holes for the extension shouldn't be too bad, and that sort of thing is expected.

Just keep showing us what you're looking at and we'll do our best to help you keep moving ahead.

I am reminded of the mangled '68 Malibu left quarter extension on the top shelf in my garage as a souvenir of my first murdered hot rod. Found it in the ditch across the road after a lady hit it going 50 or so while I was sitting still.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Hmm on the trunk extension, I'd need a part pic to understand.

Moving holes for the extension shouldn't be too bad, and that sort of thing is expected.

Just keep showing us what you're looking at and we'll do our best to help you keep moving ahead.

I am reminded of the mangled '68 Malibu left quarter extension on the top shelf in my garage as a souvenir of my first murdered hot rod. Found it in the ditch across the road after a lady hit it going 50 or so while I was sitting still.
Dang, that sucks! I'll get a picture the next time I put it on. I've got a packed garage and I have to move some stuff around so I can have more room on the RH side.
The Following User Says Thank You to 98camarod For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-05-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 AM

More sweet work was done on the car earlier in its life. The saga continues. I got the passenger quarter off. There is rust on the rocker that had a piece of metal over the hole just sitting there. The seam where the room and quarter meet are more disappointing. I treated it all with OSPHO and I'll be seam sealing the wheelhouse and then painting it. After that, I'm going to replace the rusted rocker section. I think I have no choice but to replace the roof skin and drip rails.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Grand Prix User

Wow, man. Sigh. Yep. That thing needs several patches on inner stuff. You'll probably want a trunk "drop-off" panel to go with your other new batch of parts. Putting rails and roof on may actually lessen the hassle. Definitely going to make a nicer repair. When I see overlaps on skins and brazing like that I laugh and point and make sure the whole shop sees it. Then I lop it off and chunk it. You're doing nice documentation, keep it up. Holler if you wonder anything. I could make comments about each photo but it sounds like you're getting a feel for this.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Yep, sorry to see all the bondo buried butchery...

You'll probably be ahead, replacing the roof and gutters. Who knows how much more butchery and bondo are on the rest of it ??

Damn, you are in up to your eyeballs now....you're gonna be a good panel fitter and patch maker when this is over...
Old 09-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys. I wish I would have seen this in the beginning and avoided this car. It's too late now though. It will be nice when it's done though haha
Old 09-08-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98camarod View Post
Thanks guys. I wish I would have seen this in the beginning and avoided this car. It's too late now though. It will be nice when it's done though haha
If I could have a dollar for every person who said that, I'd have as much money as Trump...

Well, only if there wasn't a hefty penalty for every time I've said it...

Yeah, it sucks to discover what you have found, but you're doing the right thing and working your way thru it.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:04 PM

I got a little done. I ground down all the metal that will be spot welded and sprayed it with the weld-thru primer. I also cut out the rust on the rocker panel and made the patch piece.

The Following User Says Thank You to 98camarod For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Grand Prix User

You are going to do well. Keep taking those bites at it when you can.

TMP and IDJ have different takes on weld-thru primer, with me being the nay-sayer. I don't know about the rest of the gang here and theres no need for debate, just saying. Theres a whole internet's worth of that already!

Heres looking forward to the big boxes
Old 09-11-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
You are going to do well. Keep taking those bites at it when you can.

TMP and IDJ have different takes on weld-thru primer, with me being the nay-sayer. I don't know about the rest of the gang here and theres no need for debate, just saying. Theres a whole internet's worth of that already!

Heres looking forward to the big boxes
I got used to using it at work because it's required by the owner. I can see some benefit of having it on the backside and in the weld, but I wipe off all the excess with thinner, which tells me you don't want it under primer or paint.
There's a lot of different "weld thru primers" on the market. I use a high copper content one. I got talked into a "galvanized, self-etching weld thru primer" once, even though I know you can't weld thru galvanizing worth a darn. Yep, took about 30 seconds of welding to wipe it all off and go bare until I got more copper...

The patch looks great, as said, keep up the excellent restoration work.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I got used to using it at work because it's required by the owner. I can see some benefit of having it on the backside and in the weld, but I wipe off all the excess with thinner, which tells me you don't want it under primer or paint.
There's a lot of different "weld thru primers" on the market. I use a high copper content one. I got talked into a "galvanized, self-etching weld thru primer" once, even though I know you can't weld thru galvanizing worth a darn. Yep, took about 30 seconds of welding to wipe it all off and go bare until I got more copper...

The patch looks great, as said, keep up the excellent restoration work.
I only tried the copper once, myself. Was gonna ask what brand 98D was using but it doesn't matter much. Like you, I just used it when told to at a job. There was a time it was preferred for warranty of some things.

He is doing awful nice so far. Hope he doesn't hit my boss up for work.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in