700r4 mechanical to cable linkage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 mechanical to cable linkage

My linkage on my 87 chevy truck is sloppy. I can move the lever between the left most part of or R and rightmost part of N when in Overdrive gear.

Have had it be in netural when I thought it was in park and now check it by rocking the truck. Need to fix this before the truck rolls down hill.

The adjustment bolt is rusted on tight and I expect it to break when removing it. So I am looking at new linkage and bushings or one of these nifty cable conversation kits.
Anyone have experiences with them or made something yourself?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Check the spring loaded plastic bushing on the frame end of the shifter rod.

You can heat up the adjustment bolt and slowly work it loose. Use one of them blue bottle propane torch, but don't burn the place down.

use a lug nut for a bushing till you get one. make sure to use a spring.

Just make sure the slop is not in the trans, like a loose rooster comb nut or something.

Once the slop is fixed, Loosen the adjuster bolt.
Put the truck in park and remove the key.
Then put the trans into park and tighten the bolt.

Do not busticate the adjuster bolt! Drive it to a shop with a torch if you have to. If the column is wore out, Junk the truck.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

I shot the adjustment bolt every friday night with "freezeoff" and let it sit overnight for the last 2 weekends. Put a rag on top of the exhaust as it is right below the bolt.
Will shoot it once again then take a torch to it to suck the penetrate into those threads but if it breaks I need to have a plan B.

U bolt maybe?

Plan on playing around with it this weekend. I know I can get the Lokar kit from summit and have it within 2-3 days(upper east Ohio to Mid Michigan).

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...mns,67551.html

The thing that is keeping me from ordering it is that that cable will need to make a bend in around 8" of room with the cable having 1" of space from the heatshield on the bottom of the cab and the exhaust pipe going back to the single muffler.

I know NAPA use to sell push pull aircraft cable. But it was one of those things where you needed to know part numbers before walking in. Looking at the Lokar kit I am thinking there has to be a cable one that follows the cab down bolting to the bell or and does not make that bend. Kind of hoping someone knows of one or has built one.

Lokar also sells a mechanical linkage(at half the cost of the cable) which seems like it will work in the space that I have. It might hit the exhaust if the arm is to low but seems like my best option right now.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...SABEgKYBvD_BwE

Open to recommendations or suggestions to avoid headaches and keep this simple fix a simple fix.

This is what I am dealing with;

No slop;

A little slop here;

And a massive amount of slop at the bolt.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
My linkage on my 87 chevy truck is sloppy. I can move the lever between the left most part of or R and rightmost part of N when in Overdrive gear.

Have had it be in netural when I thought it was in park and now check it by rocking the truck. Need to fix this before the truck rolls down hill.

The adjustment bolt is rusted on tight and I expect it to break when removing it. So I am looking at new linkage and bushings or one of these nifty cable conversation kits.
Anyone have experiences with them or made something yourself?
I would search the bone yards for a replacement as what I see just might brake as rusted nut and bolts get frozen beyond the ability to save them. The price of some fancy part against a Factory Purpose Made Part sometimes out way each other. But its y'r money. Keeping in mind also that the trans inside parts also ware out as mentioned above

Keeping in mind your engine has rubber type motor and trans mounts for good reason they move a little bit with throttle burst or just every day driving habits. Certain mechanical levers and such parts need the movement space so they don't bind up when the mechanism is going about its job hence some have rubber grommets to take up some of the slack. Also look into what the condition is for the motor and trans mounts.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Had a list of had to's which got done and some want to's which this fell under.

Had to's that I have done over the last 8 months were
Remove plow hardware
Build rear bumper and rear frame stiffener
Paint it one color
Install newer grill and newer bezels
Starting, charging, and spark system
Fuel tank, pump, lines, relay, oil sensor, wiring
Coolant, radiator, thermostat, cap, hoses, block heater
Brakes, caliper/wheel cylinders, hardware, hoses, and lines
Axle hubs, lockouts, seals, and bearings
U joints

Want to's that got done;
A flatbed I built with headache rack
Clean heating duct work

Want to's that did not get done.
Replace floor
Install cable shift linkage
Fix exhaust leak(s)

It is a 3 year project. The thing is far better off then when I started 8 months ago. But I have a ways to go.

For now I bent the rod a bit and it goes into and stays in park good. But it could be much better.

Eventually I want a rod to replace my tilt column. Just a simple rod. no key, no turn signal, no nothing. That is all going on the dash which will be modified also.

For now it is ok. Will let the snow fly for a few months and toss some more overtime money into the truck account then hit this thing running in the summer. Hopefully inside a new house with a 2 stall.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in