72 nova rust - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2017, 04:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

MP&C over on has a thread on the Garage Journal on a 55 Chevy wagon.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...82565&page=128.

I think he had a post in there on fabricating drip rails. It may be worth pm'ing him about it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,440 Times in 3,200 Posts
I would want your car farther apart before deciding anything.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,409 Posts
If you do drive somewhere like that to get parts, make a fun trip of it, see other things, get good meals, the car parts are just a small part of the trip.

Brian

Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 PM

got another picture after pulling the fender off. the rust looks much worse than it is. the only real spot of rust is outlined. most of what you see is surface rust. However, does anyone know of any good a pillar rebuilds? I cant find a replacement anywhere so i assume i will have to hand fabricate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171106_183014.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	386818  
Old 11-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Grand Prix User

Nobody makes any of those pieces? If not, yep fab everything. Lots of good examples are already here, about similar challenges. Scope out some build threads.

I have pics of an el Camino windshield bed / dash repair but it wouldn't help you here.

The areas indicated in the pic just shows where chunks are gone. Before you call the rest of it just surface rust, you might want to sand some and see if it comes off.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,027 Times in 2,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Nobody makes any of those pieces? If not, yep fab everything. Lots of good examples are already here, about similar challenges. Scope out some build threads.

I have pics of an el Camino windshield bed / dash repair but it wouldn't help you here.

The areas indicated in the pic just shows where chunks are gone. Before you call the rest of it just surface rust, you might want to sand some and see if it comes off.
Exactly, small rust holes turn into big, if not huge, holes with blasting, grinding, etc. to prep the area for panel repair.

I was thinking you lived near a coast. The rust is typical salt air damage. The floors look really good but every top surface is toast.

How is the trunk floor and rear frame rails ? No pics of that and the rear window channel usually rusts out, same as the front, and then the damage proceeds to the trunk floor. The rear frame rails are integral with that floor, so if the floor is very bad, plan on a complete back half rebuild. Inner wheel houses go right along with the trunk floor, and the lip of the outers are already toast, along with the corresponding quarter panels.

Bottom line in my world, is, it's all repairable, but to hand fabricate these parts, is going to take a lot of time, skill and some basic equipment, such as John's thread shows. I, and others, have repaired rust buckets like this, but I buy repro panels and wrestle with them to fit, as I don't have the equipment, or patience, to spend years making panels. It takes long enough to rebuild a car with parts.

Go to this Projects/Builds/My Ride - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forum and browse around a while to get an idea what this task will take to see it thru to completion.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:29 AM

ill grab some more pictures for posterity. but the rear half of the car i know is gonna need about every new panel i can buy. quarters, supports, trunk pan, rails, etc... I refuse to back down from this project. so hopefully i can come out of this with some new hard earned skills! I have put a LOT of time and effort into my career welding. so that should be the least of my issues. ive been known to weld in thin air with a tig welder
Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM

Blind stubbornness has cost many of us thousands of dollars and hours that we REALLY didn't need to spend.....think hard and long about WHY you insist on rebuilding this particular car.
The cost of panels alone, would justify the cost of a better car to start with...
Old 11-11-2017, 12:42 PM

mostly due to the fact that i can do this slowly. buy a panel when i get the money here and there. quarter panel this month. fender next etc.. rather than coming up with 5000 upfront. and unfortunately unless i can manage to drive for a few days. most in my area are rusty as well. in my area people seem to think they have gold rust.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Grand Prix User

Eckler's offers a cowl assembly-

https://www.ecklers.com/nova/1970-19...-291898-1.html
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 PM

I hear ya on the cost of these cars. I'm in MN, at the headwaters of the rust belt. I stopped buying cars around here several years ago for the same reason's...overpriced and buckets of rust. But, I'm retired OTR and have a trailer. I just went to Denton TX a few weeks ago for a very decent C10.
1 more question, do you have a clean title that you can transfer into your name before you spend any money on it ?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:30 PM

yessir i do. clean title and heaps of original paperwork. one of the reasons ide like to keep it as well.
and as i keep saying. the pictures look far worse than it is. i check to see how bad rust is by smacking it with a hammer and punch ;P. i would just feel better to have fresh good metal.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in