75 Vette wheel bearing! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 06:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

75 Vette wheel bearing!

The right rear wheel bearing went yesterday in my 75 vette. It has about 2" of slack in all directions when you jack up the rear. How much trouble is this to change?? Is there any tricks I should know before tearing into it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SouthernRodder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 AM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRodder
The right rear wheel bearing went yesterday in my 75 vette. It has about 2" of slack in all directions when you jack up the rear. How much trouble is this to change?? Is there any tricks I should know before tearing into it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SouthernRodder
Not much help here, but maybe we can get the discussion started. I had a 1968 Vette and I had about the same problem (axle worn or something, it was a while ago). I decided to take it to the Chevy guy at the garage with the lift and all I remembered is that he had to really beat on that axle to get out. As I said not much help.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 AM

axle bearing

I used to work for a corvette shop back in the early 80's....a couple of tips...if the rotors have never been off the car, you will have to do some grinding, as they are spot welded to the axle..(no problem, just grind the weld and they will come right off. When you go back together with it, the wheel and lug nuts will hold it in place..No need to re-weld). Second, removing the old bearing from the outer housing is a major job. The easest and fastest way, is a torch. Be extremely careful, cut the old bearing and the axle will slide right out...press in the new axle and reassemble. Your chevy dealer will not endorse this, so find a good corvette speciality shop and save big bucks....now would also be a good time to check your bushing and have an alignment done ....good luck

Old 05-05-2006, 09:52 AM

There is a special tool for removing the rear wheel bearings on a Vette. When I was employed by the local Chevy dealer I was the Vette expert by default. The wheel bearings can be a real bear to get off. I broke several of the specialty tools while I was there. I would not recommend a torch, you run the risk of damaging the spindle. Take the entire arm and spindle off and either take it to a local Chevy dealer or a machine shop and have the bearing pressed off and on.

Vince
Old 05-05-2006, 03:12 PM

"vette expert by default"
Funny how that works. I know the feeling.

I've taken a few rear hubs out w/ slide hammers on the C3. The rivets drill through pretty easy.
I ran into one from NY state where one side came right out, and the other would not, not, not. I had the shop buy one of those special tools for pressing out the hub while on the vehicle. It held up, but an ear of the knuckle itself broke off. We ended up ordering a pair of assembled trailing arms. Definitely the way to go if there's a lot of rust back there. I had to saw through the arms' front bushing bolt(s) where the shims are, because there was no way either were going to budge, so aligning was impossible without new bolts anyway. The bushings were going bad too.

Since we were planning on replacing most of the parts on the arm assemblies anyway, including parking brakes, the assembled units were cheaper in the long run, and came with new rotors too.

This might not be the cheapest option for you if the rest of the assembly is in good shape though.
I found this article while writing this post. Maybe it will help too.
http://www.fastcorvette.com/RearSpindleSchool.htm

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in