Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 77 Trans Am Panel Fit
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I was against a wall with the stock hinges, so I got the fesler hinges out. I still had to cut a small flange that's on these fenders off, so I could slide the fesler hinges down all the way in their mount slots to bring the hood down. The DS looks pretty good. The PS is still high by 5mm at the corner, but I gained 7mm! The hood is really tight to the cowl though. The seal is in between the hood and cool,but I have to come down another 5mm.

The rest of the 5mm will require clearancing the cowl, modifying the hood, modifying the fenders, or a combination. I am also wondering if this hood is really just the culprit. It is bowed. As anyone familiar with these cars is aware, there is a large hole punched put of the hood structure just forward of the front hood hinge mounting point. This is a natural place for buckling to occur, and the frames often give and crack at this cut out in the structure. Its a reason why none of these cars' hoods sit flush with the fenders. There is a lot of filler work on it. There are rust holes filled with filler on the bottom side. I do have a new OER hood, but had hoped to not have to get it out right now. It's hard to get at, and I wanna minimize opportunities to damage it.

Here's what I'm thinking now:
1.) I can move on to other things thinking this is close enough. I'll plan on modifying the cowl a little to be able to slide the hood down another 5mm.

2.) I could get the new hood and see if it fits any different. I'm guessing it doesn't, but it's a pure guess.

What would you guys recommend? What are you thinking my issue may be? I don't think I could have one of the full rockers higher than the other and it be causing this. Things seem to be right where they are on my donor car.