Hot Rod Forum banner

79 Monte Carlo power steering help needed

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  396caprice 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was in the process of changing the the power steering pump out on my 79 Monte but hit a wall. It appears the replacement power steering pump that my local auto parts store gave me doesn't line up with the mounting holes on the factory bracket. It is a standard gm saginaw pump, but the pump itself on the replacement part is tilted by a few degrees in the reservoir. :confused::confused:

Is it possible to simply remove the pump and tilt it within the reservoir or do i need to look for different part altogether? Help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Auto part

(old pump on the left, new unit on the right)

See less See more
#2 ·
If you try to turn the pump in the reservoir, that will effect alignment of the rear outlet ports and the bolts that hold the reservoir and pump together.

I think you've just got the wrong pump. Different bracketry set-ups between years and between car and truck applications mean slight different mounting angles and bracket attachment on the block and the pump.

#3 ·
Thats what I was thinking, counter guy at the store said that was the only pump in the system index that came up as a matching part for my year make and model. Obviously it wasn't right, looks like i'll have to find another pump and try my hand at swapping a new pump into the old reservoir.

#4 ·
There is always the possibility that the new pump was mis-labeled and/or put in the wrong box. Ask if they can compare it to another, or ask to see other GM ones that may work for you.

Or someone could have changed your brackets for some reason, like just leaving old ones in place with an engine swap.

You do have the option of rebuilding your old pump, or finding someone who will. Is it leaking? Otherwise they seem to last forever for me anyway.

#5 ·
You do have the option of rebuilding your old pump,
The actual pump parts are all the same. The difference is just the sheet metal reservoir, which is easy to swap. To be honest, I buy rebuilt pumps without the reservoir and just reuse the old one. Note that you have to pay attention to the two square cross section o-rings that fit into the back of the pump body and seal against the inside of the reservoir at the through bolt holes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.