Hot Rod Forum banner

87 Bronco doesn't start

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 · (Edited)
87 Bronco doesn't start please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, guy's! I 87 bronco it was running ok, but it does have a plugged cat. I have replaced both electric fuel pumps, one in the tank and the frame rail, cleaned out the fuel tank, alternator, spark plugs and smog pump. Like I said it was running just fine except for the cat it sounds like exhaust is muffled and los of power. The bronco always turned over kind of slow like the battery was going dead, but it would start. One morning I went out to start it and it turned over real fast or normally which was a surprise so i backed it onto the street and turned it off. Later I went to start it and it would just turn over and no start. So I let sit for a while and tried again and still wouldn't start. So i let it sit for a couple of day's and tried it again and it started right up and when i put it in drive to drive it back up to the drive way it sounded like it was sluggish and white smoke was coming out, that was a first. Ok i decided to change plug wires rotor and cap and now it will not start at all, just turns over. Someone told me about the inertia switch I found it does have a small button on it when I depress it it still springs up. Can any one help and tell me why it won't start? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
You have multiple problems. I see at least 5.
I would suggest that you seek some local help for trouble shooting.

First, If your inertia switch is bad and you replaced the pumps to cure a no-run problem,

then, You replaced plug wires to stop white smoke out the tail pipe....

you definitely need to seek someone locally who can talk you through the situation and help you learn about engines.

#3 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

White smoke is indicative of water in the combustion / induction system...Slow cranking would tend to support that theory.

First thing to do is acquire a manual for your car and read the section on basics and how to trouble shoot , repair and rebuild engines to get a feel for how to work on your car.

Some perfunctory test you can perform is a basic compression test..

All cylinders should be around 125 and 150 PSI + / - 10 % , if some are good and some (especially adjacent cylinders) are low, this would indicate head gasket or warped head..if ALL are low..around 75 LBS this would indicate timing chain / gear issues.

Check your oil, is it milky white or green? and overfull? Check your radiator, does it have oil in the water? This would support a gasket / crack or warp theory.

Look at your plugs , do they show signs of water on them ? (droplets) crank it with plugs out, does it blow water out the plug holes?

All signs of a rebuild.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.