90 GMC 350... probably running lean etc etc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

90 GMC 350... probably running lean etc etc

Ok I've been completely perplexed trying to fix my boyfriends truck. Yes I am female... he works 50 hours a week and the nice attempted motorhead I am have been working on his truck with his son for hours upon hours.

We were told the truck needed a head gasket when we got it... tore it all apart... head gasket was definitely blown replaced all gaskets put it all back together adjusted the valves.... then it was running eh ok some studder when you first put your foot on the gas... and also blowing black smoke. Also when you first start it up... it takes it about a minute to kick the idle up and seem like its not gonna die.

I replaced the plugs... which were covered like the motor was running too rich and they were new plugs only in for about 5 miles if that... I replaced the 02 sensor, fuel injectors, and pulled the distributor out and screwed with the timing.

Now there is no black smoke. I pulled a plug out of pure curiousitycomplete same build up. Still the hesitation when you first get on the gas. Once you get up to even 25 mph it evens out no hesitation and plenty of power.

Which brings me to the next problem. Sometimes theres what sounds like a knock. Yes I did say SOMETIMES lol. Also today after finally taking it on a two hour trip to a track he also said he heard valve train noise.

I've been told it could possibly be a collapsed lifter and that there are still some timing issues.

Anyone with any input whatsoever would help me greatly. I am pulling my hair out dealing with this truck because I've never found something I couldn't fix! And of course he keeps getting razed on cause he lets "his girl" work on it.

PLEASE HELP lol

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 PM

ok

ure valve train noise could be a rocker u should pop off the valve covers and retorque them and make sure they are still in adjustment. now for your hesitation it could be that the throttle body is sucking in air from somewhere (most likely between the body and the intake) and not getting the proper mixture or it could be the electronic ignition in the distributor is not set properly. if its non of these i hope u find out
Old 08-18-2006, 10:10 PM

the hesitation may be from the EGR valve/system, try moving the vacuum source on the front of the throttle body from the manifold vacuum conection it is on to the ported source that goes to the canister system and see if is any better. i think GM has a different prom avalible for the computer that slows the egr valve but if this work...

henry @ oles carb

Old 08-18-2006, 10:48 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!

I wish I had a girlfriend to work on my all my vehicles!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:32 PM

ok I dunno anything yet... Its been a whole week since I've looked at the truck thankfully lol

tomorrow I need to take it to get tired put on it.. he says the hose that goes to the transmission oil cooler has a slit in it like it did before when we replaced it. So I know I have to do that. Take it to get the tires put on it... and I'm sure I'll replace the map sensor cause for some reason he hasn't done that either (hell why wouldhe do anything without me that would make too much sense). So after me 190 bucks I spent at the salon (yes oddly enough me a girl who works on cars spent that much at a salon) I need to go and diagnose and find the problem out with his truck. I told him which tranny it had in it judging by the 16 bolts and overdrive I saw underneath... but we shall see... I pray to go this line and the map sensor does something for us.

And *** where are all the men who love a woman working on their car... yes the same chick who just spent 190 bucks at a salon... granted I think it would have been better spent at a speed shop for my transam but still lol
Old 08-19-2006, 01:44 AM

Sounds like you jumped on this board to have a bunch of rodders hit on you instead of your boyfriend who's staying out from under the hood.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Stanger
Sounds like you jumped on this board to have a bunch of rodders hit on you instead of your boyfriend who's staying out from under the hood.
No definitely not hun. I kinda get hit on enough everyday... but compliments are always nice.

The column on the truck is screwed up now... what a great project for next week
Old 08-20-2006, 05:50 PM

Damn, that sucks. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Stanger
Damn, that sucks. Good luck!
thank you hun... after actually looking online at a totally disassembled column it doesn't seem too bad just time consuming. Since I've never done it before. But I'll check out a few more things online to see what else I can find.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in