$98 Roller Paint Job in Hot Rod - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
I guess my concern is that there is not really a lot of info available on how these less expensive options will play out.
Very valid points crashtech. Anybody who does this should go in with their eyes wide open. I'm just a firm believer that hot rodders are a very innovative bunch. And by sharing our experiments (both good and bad) we make it possible for this sport to remain affordable and within reach of younger and less prosperous rodders.

Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Fair enough, I guess I just wanted to get my two cents in.

I have spent many a wasted hour stripping cheap finishes, especially from jambs, because they are not compatible with 2K finishes and their more aggressive solvents. I think that once a guy starts down the road of the $98 paint job, going back to a point of deciding to change to a shinier, pricier finish will just get all that much more expensive.

But then again, there are probably some vehicles out there that just wouldn't see paint at all if it weren't for an option like this, so more power to you folks who want to try it. Just decide carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007, 05:09 PM

just thought I'd throw my personal experiences with cheap paint into this thread, a few years back when i got my current job which required me to move about 3 hours away from where i was living at the time I had about a week to put together a running car to get me there, the only vehicle i had with a solid drive train was an 83 delta 88, the body was a real mess on the car so i decided to give it a quick body job and try to at least get the holes filled and get the car one solid color, I made pretty much every mistake a person can make doing body work on this thing, filling rust holes with bits of screen door covered in bondo, not cleaning all the rust off, stuff like that, then i sprayed the car white using Tremclad. I drove the car like that for 2 years, put around 50k on the clock and when i got rid of the car, there was only one small rust spot on the passenger quarter panel. Even the front of the car had surprisingly few rock chips in the paint.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying cheap paint is the solution for everyone, but my experience, especially given the mistakes i made prepping the car for paint was pretty positive, the paint even stayed shiny which really surprised me.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

from the Mopar site

Quote:
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000,
7 plus years w/a paint job w/a roller and it still shines. hell folks read the post completely before you think its just BS. If you don't have the $$$$ for a high $$$$ paint job there's no reason why you could at least try it this way && from what i have read(yes I read EVERY page ) the paint holds up well, it does does shine & you also can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand....joe
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
The current fad of rat rods or nostalgia rods, whatever you want to call them is just a passing fad. I grew up in the fifties and sixties and if you showed up on the street with what I see people gawking over today you would be sent home packing. Let me clarify, what I am referring to are these stupid looking rods that appear to be a collection of junk parts. I have the utmost respect for a well engineered safe rod, be it clothed in a fancy high dollar paint job, or black primer. What I loath is the current trend of "how ridiculous can I make it", or "what can I stick on it that has nothing to do with a car". It will pass in due time.

Just my 2
Vince
well said I could not agree with you more, like rat bikes never could get the fascination with that one either. Junk is junk and that is just how it is, this big wheel and spinner deal is another moronic fad. Talk about a waste of cash, the cars just look ridiculous, forget the video and sound garbage they are hauling around even more stupid. . Makes me appreciate cars that are cars, but I must specify here they must be American iron. No matter how well done a foreign rice gobbler is . I ignore them all not interested.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: The Monster Lives
Wiki Edits: 1

One or two last points on cheap paint. It is designed to be idiot proof, so depending on the car, it might be a good deal.. Hot Rod Magazine used a pretty plain Falcon for their test bed.

And another thing to think about; these graffiti artists are getting some pretty striking images with spray cans, i wonder if that would not be a fun thing to pursue.

I saw a great truck the other day, a painter's S-10. It looked like they had dripped paint on it from every job they had ever done. It was pretty fun to look at. Made me turn my head.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM

another option would be the spray bombs from International tractor. Those red tractor guys aka Farmall to the older folks.

When I was working on a dairy farm I had to repair the nose on one of the tractors and I repainted it with their spray bombs. That paint is tough, it stands up to daily pressure washings by farm workers and matched the original paint well. I did do a bit of sanding between coats. As I said color choice is limited as they only have the red and a nice flat black. The flat black would be a great choice for those who want to run the black primer look and have the rig sealed.

For those who knock the guys who put on the low buck paint and or sometimes substandard material. You have to remember that sometimes that is all they have to work with. Not everyone can work high dollar custom paint into their budget and some guys are realistic enough to know that the particular car that they are playing with isn't ever going to hav e a high dollar paint job.

On the rat rod thing, I am another one that thinks this has gotten completely out of hand in some cases. I have a feeling that in most cases just like the "pro fairground" cars these cars are trailered in and then rolled into place. Possibly by the same guy who got tired of buying alchohol for his pro fairground car so he could go thumping around the fairgrounds a couple of times a day to wow the mouthbreathers.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:04 PM

this thread has to be the biggest joke in automotive painting history!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused
this thread has to be the biggest joke in automotive painting history!!!

that's all you have to say, NO REASONS WHY???????
come on you must have more to say??????

7 plus years w/a paint job w/a roller and it still shines & thats no joke & thats a quote from the the person on the Mopar forum that did it....

whats matter are ya just PO'd because someone can spend less then $100 for a paint job that will work for them. hell that's longer then some of the factory paint jobs will last.

what I love is everybody who thinks this a BS way to paint a car/truck. it's already been proven that it can & will work if you do the work correctly & by more then one person. there is close to 200 pages on this subject on the Mopar site & more then one person has used it w/great results. so before you knock anybody for trying it, read the posts & see how well the paint jobs came out &&& w/o trying it yourself you don't have a clue whether or not it's good enough for you.

&&&& by the way confused you will find LOTSSSSS of folks on the Mopar board that will disagree w/you completely
Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
7 plus years w/a paint job w/a roller and it still shines & thats no joke & thats a quote from the the person on the Mopar forum that did it....
It could be an outright lie, or perhaps the vehicle is stored inside and comes out one day a week in summer, if that. There's no reason in the world to believe a second-hand quote, especially if it's by someone you don't know.

I'll tell you what, I want to state for the record that Rustoleum cured my terminal cancer. You can quote me on that if you want.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM

thanks crashtech atleast there is still some good people left here
Old 06-06-2007, 06:17 AM

Were'nt some of the early paints made from tree sap and crushed berries?, some of you might want to use that on your rods for a custom look. Let me know how it works.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:38 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers

Why do people think you have to buy something cheap like
Rustoleum to paint a car for under $100.00.
There's plenty of single stage automotive enamels out there for
that price.
You can even get a polyurethane including activator(like Kirker)
for under $100.00. That's automotive paint made for a car.
It may be a cheap brand but there's no paint out there that
doesn't use activator that'll even come close to the durability
of an activated paint.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 AM

Last journal entry: Finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
Why do people think you have to buy something cheap like
Rustoleum to paint a car for under $100.00.
There may be more, but three reasons come to my mind right away. No high cost equipment (compressor, paint gun), safety (no killer fumes to harm yourself or your neighbors), and garage prep (building a paint booth and/or ridding the garage of all dust and dirt).

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) most of the automotive paints are made specifically to be sprayed, or at least the two-part systems are...which means the equipment, safety, and garage prep issues must be dealt with. Some rodders are simply looking for alternatives for getting a decent coat of paint on their rides...and HOT ROD magazine presented one. I think they did a fair job of testing the technique and presenting the results...both the pros and the cons. My reading of their article was that the technique has some promise for rodders on a tight budget. That alone, it seems to me, makes the subject worth our discussion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused
thanks crashtech atleast there is still some good people left here
I can see by your post count that you may not have been around HR.Com all that long. Our purpose here is NOT to "win" arguments or form little gangs of us-vs-them to prove we are the best or that we know more than everybody else. And our purpose is certainly not to offend our fellow rodders by calling their discussions "the biggest joke in history".

We are here trying to help and learn from one another. And we do that through the presentation of our personal experiences and the myriad of data and information available through the web, car magazines, technical analysis and other sources. If your purpose is to simply be "right" all the time, win arguments, and declare that all those who disagree with you are "wrong" or "a big joke", then you might find some of the other discussion boards on the web more to your liking than this one.

Your contribution thus far in this particular thread has been to declare people's experience and opinion a big joke and then to congratulate yourself when another rodder appeared to agree with you. But you have provided absolutely nothing to advance the discussion with well supported personal experience or factual information. Obviously you have every right to simply say you don't think this painting technique will work or provide decent results. But if you expect us to give any credence to that opinion, you'll need to back it up with something other than name calling.

Dewey
Old 06-06-2007, 08:33 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: The Monster Lives
Wiki Edits: 1

But if you don't spend at least $10,000.00 on the paint of your car, you don't get to sneer at the peasants. And otherwise, what's the use of all those peasants?

Reminds me of this body shop in Hollywood that charges a hundred grand for a paint job. They strip your new car, adjust all the gaps, massage the body work and make a flawless paint job for a mere 100 K.

What a bargain. I think that if you can't afford that, you have no need to clutter up the boulevard with your rusty junkers.

Shame alone should keep you a pedestrian.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in