about to give up on my pearl paint job - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'd shoot the black, then shoot multiple coats of pearl mixed into activated intercoat clear. Less pearl per coat and more coats will give an evener distribution. Intercoat clear is like base coat without color, it goes on thin. Once you get what you want shoot with topcoat clear.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
also wanted to mention when i mixed the pearl in with the clear instead of the base i didnt get tiger stripes , but i did move to slowly and it went on to thick.
by this point i was just burning up the last lil bit of clear i had just to see what pearl in the clear would do over black. i wasnt trying to make it come oout well i just wanted to really see what effect it would give sprayed over the black instead of mixing the pearl with the black

Ok, that helps explain it a little better to me. If you are after the effect on the nova in the picture, you are likely going to have to use a blue candy over a black, but a pearl may get you there as well. I would recommend calling the shop in your picture and asking them what they used to reach that result. Also, when you are adding pearls and candies to achieve that "ghost" effect, usually you will add them to an intercoat clear. After all prep is complete, spray the base and let it flash off, then mix the candy or pearl into intercoat clear and add teh amount of coats it takes to achieve the desired results (in your case, you may want to keep a flash light handy to check after each coat of pearl). After you have reached the desired effect, you let the intercoat clear flash and spray your top coat clear. The intercoat clear will aly smooth like base, but helps control the movement of the pearl or candy and does not change the base coat color like mixing the pearl into the base. You can mix the pearl or candy into regular clear, but most top coat clears are thicker and dry slower than intercoat clear and will allow more movement of the pearl or candy and also ends up with a LOT more build that could lead to problems. I am sure you plan to cut and buff after the painting is complete and again you will want to have the pearl or candy burried under the top coat of clear or you will be sanding and buffing the pearls out if they are in the top coat clear (similar to metallic issues found when using single stage and buffing). Hope this may help you out a little more, if I didn't make it more confusing than it needs to be. I am not always the best at putting my thoughts into words.

Also wanted to add that if you are going to have the hood, doors, or any other panels off of the car while painting, be ABSOLUTELY SURE you lay or hang them in the same position they will be on the car when finished and re-assembled. IE Hood laying flat, doors hanging upright etc. Any variation in final orientation will effect how the pearl, candy, or mettalic lays down and will cause matching problems. AND remember to allow plenty of flash time between coats and steps to avoid solvent getting trapped and causing a solvent pop or delamination issue.

Kelly
the pearl in the base was working and giving me the effect i was after
u can see it in this picture u can really see the pearl color come out near the top and on the botton in the body line on the hood u can see my friends shadow on the top and its almost black there with no light hitting it

u can see the clor when its in the sunlight , and when in the shade or inside the shop it was black
i

thecoatingstore who has been posting in this thread has a 2 stage kit called midnight blue pearl that looks really close to what im after i think im going to order up a 1 quart motorcycle kit and give it a try and if it works well ill order up the gallon kit for the car

if its not what im after i will try again with a quality base/clear this time around im going to mix the same blue pearl i used with a viloiet blue pearl to get a deeper color out of it

our other friend who is a much more experience painter will be there to help us or do it if we cant

i am curious how much does temputure effect the paint we had the shop at around 67* thats as high as we could get it , the paint we used listed 70*+ as what it should have been

by next month it will be much warmer out so temps wont be an issue

Last edited by Project89; 03-16-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 AM

well i talked to my local body shop , as long as i bring them the car stripped blocked and ready to spray they are going to spray the car for me for 250$ , i also have to mask everything off , i think thats a helluva deal

i also am ordering up a whole paint kit from thecoatingstore , the only thing i need to do as of now is order up a new hood for the car which i will order on about april 4th. im dropping my truck off at the body shop today to get a new windshield put in so ill find out when i can bring them my car to be sprayed

Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Jim Stainer

Project 89 will you post up some pics when it is done? That midnight blue pearl is very high on my color choice list and I'd like to see your car with it.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Custom Paint Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
Project 89 will you post up some pics when it is done? That midnight blue pearl is very high on my color choice list and I'd like to see your car with it.

Here is one of another customer's car that will give you an idea of what it looks like in lower light:

This is what it looks like in the sun. You probably already seen this one but others likely have not:

Hopefully that will help. Sure would like to have one in full sun as well Project89.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or follow us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
sure man i got the paint and the car is going to the body shop soon , i have a lil more to do on the body but im thiking 2-3 weeks tops and the car will be painted
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoatingStore View Post
Here is one of another customer's car that will give you an idea of what it looks like in lower light:

This is what it looks like in the sun. You probably already seen this one but others likely have not:

Hopefully that will help. Sure would like to have one in full sun as well Project89.
not a problem i did some computer work for a professional photographer in exchange for him shooting my car when its all done , so ill have some nice professional photos to post up for ya
Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM

Don't give up

Don't give up. If it wasn't for all the mistakes I've made I wouldn't know anything. I'd say just lesson your expectations of color shift. The more pearl you ad the higher the chances of it looking cloudy. IMO pearl looks best when it's hardly noticed at all.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitford68 View Post
Don't give up. If it wasn't for all the mistakes I've made I wouldn't know anything. I'd say just lesson your expectations of color shift. The more pearl you ad the higher the chances of it looking cloudy. IMO pearl looks best when it's hardly noticed at all.
im letting the local body shop spray the camaro. over the summer im going to paint my truck myself with something a lil easier to spray to get some experiance.its a work truck so i wont care as much if i screw up on it trying to learn. the camaro on the other hand i dont have much more time to mess with racing season starts here very shortly and i just need it finished and looking good
Old 04-08-2014, 05:26 PM

just took the car over to the body shop and they showed me a few things i need to fix ( minor filler work )
should be taking the car to be sprayed sometime next week
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM

car will be delayed a lil bit getting to paint as my hood arrived damaged

the hood is edm coated whats the proper prep on that scuff with 400 grit?

some pics of the hood

and closeups of the damage

if my new hood gets here by thursday night i may still be able to get the car off to paint for the weekend if not it will be the follwing weekend
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Wiki Edits: 22

Number One rule of let-down panels: Prep it EXACTLY like you you will be prepping the car, otherwise your results are worthless. this is especially true for metallics, this is REALLY FRACKING TRUE for candies and pearls. This allows you to spot problems in your prep work before you wind up seeing them in your final paint job.

Number Two rule of let-down panels: section it off using strips of masking paper. this allows you to compare 1 coat to 2 coats to 3 coats of base / tricoat / clear and see them all from the same angle at the same time.

Number Three rule of let-down panels: Get yourself a flat piece of steel and form it around a log or pipe so it has shape to it. If the curve goes across the narrow way, your masking paper layers go the long way so you can observe your colors around a bend

Number Four rule. They are called let-down panels for a reason. You will walk away disappointed and having to rethink your process.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy View Post
Number One rule of let-down panels: Prep it EXACTLY like you you will be prepping the car, otherwise your results are worthless. this is especially true for metallics, this is REALLY FRACKING TRUE for candies and pearls. This allows you to spot problems in your prep work before you wind up seeing them in your final paint job.

Number Two rule of let-down panels: section it off using strips of masking paper. this allows you to compare 1 coat to 2 coats to 3 coats of base / tricoat / clear and see them all from the same angle at the same time.

Number Three rule of let-down panels: Get yourself a flat piece of steel and form it around a log or pipe so it has shape to it. If the curve goes across the narrow way, your masking paper layers go the long way so you can observe your colors around a bend

Number Four rule. They are called let-down panels for a reason. You will walk away disappointed and having to rethink your process.

I am confused, I agree the hood needs to be prepped and primed/selaed the same as the rest of the car, but he is painting the hood and car at the same time. The methods (number 2) would be rather hard to do on a finish paint job without leaving lines in the final finish ( not to mention why would you do that), number three, I don't even know what that is referring to or why? and (number four) why would he be disappointed in his hood?

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
Lizer (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Wiki Edits: 22

A let-down panel is a practice / test panel, usefull for checking how many coats you need to acheive hiding, testing color match, deciding how much many coats of candy you want and so on.

heres an illustration of how to do one for tricoat candies when your trying to color match an existing panel.

when i was in wyotech i did a VERY involved let-down panel for the fun of it, I had like 30 different shades of paint when i was done just by using 2 primers, 3 different (but close) shades of red base coat, 1 through 5 stages of mid coat, and each was also avail in clear and uncleared examples. It was a pretty cool example, till some idiot in class destroyed it so he could try his hand at doing a 9700 black paint job.

Big surprise how it turned out ..... it was black..... the same black you get when you lock yourself in a closet in the middle of the night.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Oh ok, I see what you are talking about now. It confused me because he has decided to have someone else paint his car and it has not been painted yet, he was waiting for the hood to arrive and it came in damaged. It will all be painted at the same time, by a shop with (I assume) an experienced painter. It just threw me off when you talking about matching paint that hadn't been sprayed yet

Kelly
Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Oh ok, I see what you are talking about now. It confused me because he has decided to have someone else paint his car and it has not been painted yet, he was waiting for the hood to arrive and it came in damaged. It will all be painted at the same time, by a shop with (I assume) an experienced painter. It just threw me off when you talking about matching paint that hadn't been sprayed yet

Kelly
yes the local body shop in town will be spraying the car , ive seen a bunch of there work and its really nice , they work on everything from hot rods to everyday insurance repairs. the shop is always very busy

i will be bringing them the car primed masked and ready to spray, so the delay with the hood is really hurting my time table for getting the car 100% ready

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in