Hot Rod Forum banner

Adjustable Strut Rods

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Molon Labe 
#1 ·
I'm considering a set of adjustable strut rods for my '67 Fairlane. However, I'm concerned about the solid mounts to the frame in place of the rubber bushings. I'm worried that this may result in harshness in the steering or ride. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone running this type of strut rod and what effect - if any - you''ve seen in your steering or ride.

#3 ·
I tried to remove my strut rods to replace the bushings but the nuts weren't budging and I had to cut them off. While searching for new rods I came across many ads for the adjustable versions like these:

1967 Mustang, Cougar, Fairlane Adjustable Strut Rod part # ASR-5

Then I found this video to make your own:

Other than some benefit to road racers I'm not sure there's an advantage to the solid mount, adjustable rods. But, making my own appealed to me, but, as noted, I'm concerned about harshness.

#4 ·
I've been suckered into a couple of situations involving the elimination of rubber in the suspension and as you alluded to, it works fine if you are going to be in competition of some kind with the car, but if the car is meant for cruising with the family or use as a daily driver, keep the rubber in the system. That's my take on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.