Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Adjustable timing tab setup sbc 350
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMech View Post
Yes ive searched and read alot on this.

When i built this engine i had setup tdc on the timing tab very accurately when the heads were off with dead stop method. It was perfect. Later added an msd box so no longer could use a rollback timing light so got the msd sticker pack for my damper but my original pointer was covering the sticker too much so i couldnt see any numbers on the tape. I should have at least tried to check timing before removal of my current tab but like an idiot i didnt and just removed it thinking i could used a piston stop but it doesnt hit the piston hard enough to trust it due to the angle and i cant get a reading with a dial indicator that i can trust. Engine in truck and fully assembled, truck runs great and is at 34 or 36 total timing but i dont remember honestly.. really want to confirm before i put the 100 shot on it.. not sure of what to do at this point.. i dont like guessing or pulling heads off.. any thoughts?
A piston stop should stop the piston so I'd try again. Also, you don't want it to hit the piston hard either anyway. Put stop in there until piston hits it. Then place your mark on the balancer. Reverse direction until piston hits stop again. Put your other mark on the balancer. The middle istance between those marks gives you your TDC.
The Following User Says Thank You to rdobbs77 For This Useful Post:
35olds (07-13-2019)