Advice removing door hinges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Cookie

Wiki Edits: 0

Advice removing door hinges

Hell!
I have a 41 Chevy coupe. I am working on the car trying to remove the front door hinges. Which after all these years are rusted. The center bolts are counter sunk bask in to the hinge box. Very difficult to get at. Any ideas or help appreciated?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

A photo would help, are they hex head, allen head, phillips head, etc?

Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:24 PM

Hinges

I've had problems with hinge removal over the years and it's not easy. Soak with penetrating oil over several days and use a hand impact driver to back them out. Most are phillips but make sure you have a bit that fits tight. If all else fails about a quarter stick usually works!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPSK View Post
Hell!
I have a 41 Chevy coupe. I am working on the car trying to remove the front door hinges. Which after all these years are rusted. The center bolts are counter sunk bask in to the hinge box. Very difficult to get at. Any ideas or help appreciated?
I ran into the same problem working on my 52 Plymouth. If you can get a torch with a small tip. Heat the nut red hot, and let it cool. Just before it cools completely, hit it with some penetrating oil. It should come out. If no torch, even a propane torch will do some good. Like someone else mentioned use a impact screw driver. Just don't burn up your truck. stan
Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 PM
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION

The first two pictures of this gallery will help
https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/The-Doors/
The Following User Says Thank You to '49 Ford Coupe For This Useful Post:
de_greaser (11-20-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 06:39 AM

Bash the heck out of it with a impact screwdriver.
When that does not work you can try this proven trick.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND LONG SLEEVES WHEN DOING THIS.

Take your grinder and cutoff wheel then cut just the hinge so that it cuts the upper 2 bolts in half.
Then cut the hinge so the lower 2 bolts are cut in half.

You need to be careful here to just cut the hinge. You don't need to cut completely through but over 1/2 way. Your cutting up to the bolt not into the bolt.

Now weld a rod to the top part of the hinge then pull down on it and it will start to bend. Welding the rod saves the body instead of using a chisel to pry it up the hinge scratching the body. Once up hit it back up gently and pull down repeating until it breaks.
Do the same with the bottom until it breaks.

Now cut a mark in the middle between the upper and lower rows. This one you need to be completely through on. Now take a chisel and hit the upper part of the hinge down over the lower until it clangs against the shop floor. Then hit the lower up and your left with the 4 bolts exposed.

I grind these till the heads are square then hammer on a 8 socket on them after hitting them with pentrating oil and heating the area around them. They come right off.

Now clean your threads and replace the Phillips with countersunk hex screws 4 or larger so you can use a common socket to get them off next time.

Last edited by cerial; 11-17-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:14 AM

Torch it. If you don't have a real torch, go get a MAPP gas torch and bottle of MAPP gas. Don't use the MAPP with a propane torch, the MAPP one will put out a hellova lot more heat. Cycle it hot and cold, cold water in a squirt bottle will help. Go to Horror Freight and buy a big screwdriver to fit the screws and cut the handle so you can hammer on it metal to metal. Heat, hammer, cool in whatever order you feel like. Try to get the heads as red as you can but it will be hard with the little torch. After every few hot, cold, hammer cycles try to turn it. Be sure to have a screwdriver that fits the head perfect.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,762 Times in 2,830 Posts
I dislike using fire on cars and my hand impact driver has been borrowed and beaten into a non-functioning state. What remains is a fairly wimpy old 1/2" impact with a nice smooth trigger and an adjustment knob. I turn it all the way down, really lean into it to keep the bit seated, and feather the trigger oh so carefully to bump the big old countersunk phillips heads out using the bit and adapter from the hand impact driver set. It has worked remarkably well, even without heat or penetrant. Knowing what access is like could help in culling these suggestions. I am unfamiliar with that body style.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in