Aftermarket fuel injection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Aftermarket fuel injection

I would like to run a 4l80 trans in an older car. The cost of an aftermarket controller would go a long way towards the cost of fuel injection so I was thinking about injection that would control fuel, spark and trans. Does anyone have experience with such a system

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2018, 07:57 PM

Microsquirt.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...iring-harness/

You need one to control the engine and a second one to control the transmission. But Lots have people have used them to allow for a lot of tuneablity for your money

You can also use a Megasquirt 3 or better version of the 3 to control both and have a few more boost and other related features. If your engine is NA then 2 microsquirts is all you will need.

Hit up the forums and search around to find a great amount of tech on the megasquirt forums.

Real basic video showing wiring LS with microsquirt

Last edited by cerial; 12-13-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:28 PM

The cheapest way out is going to be over $700 - two Microsquirts datalinked together. If you're not familiar with this, it may sound intimidating at first read, but it's not. What engine are you using and what kind of power are you looking to make.

If you have a complete donor, i.e a van or truck with a 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0, then the stock PCM is the way to go. Find someone local that can pull off the harness modification and be happy.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:41 AM

Is a gen1 big block in a &0 Nova. I was thinking an injection system could control everything
Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Options are limited to control the engine and trans via one ecm. The stock ecm and expensive aftermarket solutions - expensive being over $1100.

There are other aftermarket trans controllers that work well I've been told, and you can also convert the 4l80 to runfull mechanical. I seen a couple of those and they were 'clunky' to say the least. I'm in the process of part gathering to put a microsquirt datalinked to an MS2, but won't have much of a result until probably late spring. I expect it to go quite smoothly though, as the programming is not that demanding.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:06 AM

2 microsquirts is going to be your best bet.

Now I would go with a TBI setup pulled from a yard then use an adapter to bolt it right onto your intake. Lots of headaches saved and gives a great amount of potential per dollar for a NA setup.

Here is a rough thing talking about hooking up a tbi system and what is involved.It is a great write up on what to expect and what you will need to get the thing running.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...-to-efi/part1/

Now this is from 2009. There has been a great amount of additional tech on the topic since then. Injector impedance comes to mind as one thing. I would still visit the forums and bump them for updates. But the core material is in that article for what to expect.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:42 PM

Holley dominator

I see on the holley dominator ads that it lists integrated electronic trans control. Does anyone know anything about this system
Old 12-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Generic system generic control.
It will "learn" your engine and "learn" when to shift your transmission.

Or you can go with a system like megasquirt and TELL it exactly what to do and when to do it.

Don't be intimidated by all the charts and tables. It takes a few hours to learn everything. The forums will help you with any issues and give you tips and tricks to make it easier. When in doubt error on the safe side at the start then tune it till you have it performing how you want
Once you know it you will be able to tune that engine much better then any "learning" system will to make the best use of that fuel instead of sending it out the tailpipe.

You can buy a megasquirt 3 or "pro" /better system and have engine and transmission control in one box. More money but simpler wiring. For instance you have a input pin plug and a separate out pin plug to make things neater. That being said it comes down to what you need and what you want.

I run my rides on the cheaper systems that after a bit of work will do what I want them to do. 2 micro's will work for what your describing. You can go with a bigger box and have the 2 in one box it is just a bit more and will have a few more features you may not need. But if you want everything in one box it is your money.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:42 AM

The Dominator will do it. Is that in your budget? If yes, then it will definitely work, and it will DEFINITELY be overkill for a NA street car with some limited strip time. The Dominator has a silly amount of inputs and outputs - not to say that they are unneeded, but most will never use a third of them. Also, there are a fair amount of items to use with it that are Holley brand.

What is you budget for the EFI setup ad what is your skillset with wiring, multimeters, etc.? Alot of guys are intimidated by the wiring/electronic knowledge required to hookup a Holley Dominator or Megasquirt setup - that's why you there are so many 'plug-n-play' systems out there. I.e. Holley Sniper, FiTech, Atomic EFI, Fast EFI, etc. Both Holley and Megasquirt have developed systems that are closer to plug n play than their original items, but most all of the pug n play setups are much more limited.

For what you're doing you could easily install two seperate, very user friendly setups such as a Holley Sniper and TCI trans controller, or something similar, but it will be more than what cerial has described, but much easier. But it will also be much simpler and budget friendly than a Dominator.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:05 PM

If I don't go with fuel injection what trans controller does everyone run
Old 12-17-2018, 04:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

Microsquirt, and one of the 4L80E control harnesses. Will be plug and play and the trans is in the software for a rough pre tune
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
Microsquirt, and one of the 4L80E control harnesses. Will be plug and play and the trans is in the software for a rough pre tune
A couple of things that the Microsquirt trans controller needs is a TPS and MAP signals. These can be somewhat of a bummer if going with a carb.

Gpa,
I will say, you're all over the place with your thoughts - going from a plan with a Dominator. then to a carb are borderline polar opposites. That isn't much of an issue for bench racing, but ..... definitely opposites IMHO. I enjoy the discussion and opinions
Old 12-17-2018, 04:21 PM

Fuel injection

The world of fuel injection is changing FAST! Lots of people are jumping in with new products monthly. Latest I heard was a trans controller made from Arduino. A little more robust controller would be based on a Raspberry Pi. If you knew what you were doing a stand alone shifter would cost under $100! Right now I know several are working on this to bring a package to market. If you know C++ programming you could do it yourself. There's a catch to everything.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:51 PM

I saw the add for the dominator and not the price. I thought more fuel injection controlers worked with the trans

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in