Alternator charging issue. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2019, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Alternator charging issue.

So I have a 1990 Mazda B2600i 4x4 truck, 2600 4 cyl / manual trans. I have had a alternator problem every couple years, a re-occurring issue. Only when outside temp is at about freezing or below the alternator light stays on after starting the engine. Rev the engine and the light goes out. This progressively gets worse over a period of a couple weeks the light stays on longer each time until finally the charging light stays on permanetely.
Replace the alternator and everything is fine for a couple years and then it starts happening again. . This is about the 6th alternator I have replaced and the vehicle only has 125000 Miles. No one seems to know what's going on? Like I said, it only happens in cold weather. I have checked and cleaned battery, replaced battery, cleaned alt connections, does not seem to matter, Same thing happens after 2 to 4 years. Any electrical experts have any clues on what causes this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 04:43 PM

Could be as simple as a bad diode or bad gauge.
You need to have it happening and when it happens check the voltage. Those cheap digital cigarette lighter voltage things can work here. They actually read correct a majority of the time.
You should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Less then 13 or more then 15 will show you that you charging issue.

If you do not have a charging issue then I would look at the wiring from the alternatior to the gauge cluster.
1990 is tricky though. Especially if you have an automatic.

A Ranger or B2600 guy will know what wires go where. How many branches there are off a wire and so on. Middle of a move everything is boxed up. But maybe someone on a forum such as the ranger station in the link below may help. They have a mazda truck section and know every inch of these trucks.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php
Old 10-31-2019, 08:24 PM

Charging issue.

It is an alternator issue, They slowly quit charging, however what is puzzling is that this only occurs when outside temperature drops near freezing (32 deg F). Never has occurred during the summer. I have the alternators checked and they all have failed. I think this will be the fifth or sixth alternator I will be replacing. Like I said they last for 2 to 4 years and then fail, all in similar fashion. just trying to figure out what exactly is causing the failure rate. It is definitely a temperature related issue.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:48 AM

You need to get a live voltage reading when this happening to find out if it is simply the gauge. A diode or other wire fault will have the regulatior going nuts turning on and off repeatedly overcharging or undercharging the battery shortning both the battery and alternators lifes.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in