American means American not foreign - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2020, 12:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

American means American not foreign

I am a lover of classic and hot rod American cars. I have absolutely no interest in foreign stuff. Is anybody else fed up with the ever growing amount of foreign cars in Hemmings Classic Car America’s Definitive Collector Car Magazine? I feel it as overstepped boundaries of “America’s Definitive Collector Car Magazine”, last I knew The Hemming’s foreign car magazine failed. And now Hemmings is forcing those failed foreign cars into a successful periodical. Not in my interest. It would be fine to shove a Chevy engine in some piece of foreign crap. At least it would go fast. But not in the realm of an American Classic. A 49 Mercury with a modern engine yes, not a Morgan, MG, or Lotus or any other listed in the British greats section of the August issue

I will say good bye to subscription that expires in Dec’20.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 07:09 PM

Maybe you should subscribe instead to Hemmings Muscle Machines. Great magazine!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:02 PM

I have both Hemming’s magazines. MCM does not seem to put the foreign crap in it like the other does. I have enjoyed the non muscle American cars of the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s as well as the muscle cars. But have no interest in the non American stuff. It’s like having a wine magazine and have articles in it on milk, radio frequencies, concrete, or drywall. No way it belongs.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,736 Times in 3,102 Posts
It's "America's Definitive Collector Car Magazine", meaning if you live in America and collect vintage cars, this is your magazine....doesn't say it is American cars only, it includes any car being owned or collected in America.

It would need to be labeled something like "The Definitive Collector Car Magazine for American Domestic Automobiles" to be American made cars only.

Do you exclude Beaumont's, and Acadian's, and Mercury trucks...since they are made in Canada??
How about the '73 Monte Carlo Landau my Uncle has owned since new, which has just under 40,000 miles on it now and still looks like new....but was made in Canada?

What about the Shelby Cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, De Tomaso Pantera, Opel GT, Ford Capri?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
2old2fast (08-01-2020), Bob37pont (08-02-2020), Dave57210 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:45 PM

Ya know, in a 600 page book it’s shouldn’t be to hard to flip past a few pages.
There’s a lot more to worry about in the world than that.
JMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to RWENUTS For This Useful Post:
poncho62 (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 AM

And let’s go a step further!
Everyone complains about the lack of ‘american’ built parts or services and then given the opportunity to buy American they run the other way.
Can’t get more american than an American company publishing an American book monthly while employing american people in America.
Rant over!

Now let’s go look for that North American built Pontiac with it’s Chevy 427 still sitting in the engine bay!
Old 08-01-2020, 07:13 AM
True Hotrodder

True, but I think he's right too. He is voting or choosing with his wallet which I agree with. There are a lot of businesses out here right now that think they are more important than the consumers, that we just flock to them because we "love" them or something. At least in my case and it appears 57Nomad, we can walk away from something when it no longer meets our expectations.

To say that it's just a few pages, get over it, seems to be the general consensus on too many things today.**************************

Last edited by poncho62; 08-01-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Political comments removed
Old 08-01-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
Ya know, in a 600 page book it’s shouldn’t be to hard to flip past a few pages.
There’s a lot more to worry about in the world than that.
JMHO
Well said. I think many, if not most of us, enjoy reading about all kinds of cars like the British, European, and Aussie performance cars of the 60s-80s. They put a premium on handling and braking, whereas American manufacturers built cars that were boat-like luxury cruisers or 1/4 mile performance cars, with little thought paid to vehicle dynamics.

As an example, even my wife's 1980 Volvo station wagon had an OHC fuel-injected engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, and radial tires. That thing would smoke any wobbly American station wagon on a winding road, and get 25 mpg doing it.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 AM

It is my money buying the magazine and if it changed and now has content I’m not interested in I STOP BUYING IT.

A YEAR AGO THERE WAS NO FOREIGN STUFF BETWEEN IT’S COVERS. Sorry, turn off cap’s. Hemming’s had a foreign magazine and it failed. They stoped producing it. Foreign car interest must be poor. It’s not a matter of just accepting what they publish. I have an option like the TV just turn it off or change the channel. I’m not accepting of the change as some here are. That content changed, and so my subscription stops.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Most magazines in paper form are on the way out now anyways. The internet is the way to read things these days. I guess the magazine publishers are trying to keep it alive by adding more subject matter to a wider group.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
Bob37pont (08-02-2020), BogiesAnnex1 (08-01-2020), ericnova72 (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:17 PM

Thanked 1,470 Times in 1,158 Posts
Never much cared for Hemming’s it seems everything they touch turns to snooty.

Bogie
Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 PM

57Nomad, you need to find a magazine called "American Classics"...
I sympathize with your tastes, but in this case, you're skewing the meaning of "America's" vs. "American"

I agree with Bogie as well, Hemmings just seems too snooty, like all the Councours rubbish... beautiful cars, typically owned by total dweebs that don't know "lefty loosey" from "righty tighty"...
If they're paying Americans to build them for them, they get a brownie point at least...
Old 08-02-2020, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55_327 View Post
Well said. I think many, if not most of us, enjoy reading about all kinds of cars like the British, European, and Aussie performance cars of the 60s-80s. They put a premium on handling and braking, whereas American manufacturers built cars that were boat-like luxury cruisers or 1/4 mile performance cars, with little thought paid to vehicle dynamics.

As an example, even my wife's 1980 Volvo station wagon had an OHC fuel-injected engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, and radial tires. That thing would smoke any wobbly American station wagon on a winding road, and get 25 mpg doing it.
They may have cornered better but they were down on power to get the m.p.g. , & as anyone who worked in a shop in the 60's& 70',s will tell you , the construction , engineering , electronics & reliability sucked !
Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 AM

You do know that when parts are advertised as "Made in America", that covers the lower tip of South America to Canada, it's all America. Most of it coming from Mexico and a little from Canada. "Made in USA" is a different story. Being "an American" doesn't really mean much either. If you say that you are a citizen of the USA, that's proper, but yes, I am used to saying I'm an American (Citizen).
The Following User Says Thank You to 55 Tony For This Useful Post:
BillPac (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 04:48 AM

Buy American

Great discussion! I am in favor of the 'buy American' sentiment, but I also realize that there is a world economy involved. If you look at the foreign car situation, even the Toyotas, Hondas and Kias are usually assembled here, and the foundrys, parts suppliers and dealers employ lots of US citizens, paid in USA dollars. I know the profits may go to a foreign bank in another country, but many a paycheck gets deposited right here. Biggest challenge for me is the Chinese stuff. That's why the intake manifold on my T-bucket is an Edelbrock, and not a cheaper Chinese knockoff. Lets all try to avoid the cheap Chinese junk when we can, even though it's difficult.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in