Hot Rod Forum banner

another chop job

134K views 373 replies 32 participants last post by  knight hawk 
#1 ·
I know there are alot of ''chop'' threads and questions, but... I'd like to know if anyone has chopped a "48 Dodge 4dr post " with suicide doors,. I did a pick up once , so I know the basics. Question is, with the center door posts, I'm assuming the top can't can't be shifted ???

#228 ·
yes it would be less work, also it would look a cleaner, probabley give it a nice 'smooth' look. But a wanted to keep the vent windows, thought they would be 'cool' . Biggest thing would be , if I had not moved the window tops as I said before... Also, I think , If I took more time finding other flush mounted door handles that didn't stick into the door as far, would give me more room........but this is a low budget build, so I guess I shouldn't complain about the time...

#229 ·
well, as I said a couple of posts back, I'm having major problems getting the window channels right, so,,,, before I start breaking things , I am going to move this '48 to a stall in the back of the barn for a while ! Which is really ok, cause , as My wife reminded me, today, I '' have alot of work to do on these other vehicles before winter ". So, I won't be getting anything done on the '48 for a little while ....plus, I think winter is all ready here !

#230 ·
Bad news ! remember that back stall in the barn , with no heat or insulation , where I put the '48 ? So I can work on these other vehicles ? Well , I'm thinking... one item to check on these, is the antifreeze, then I remember... NO antifreeze in the '48 ! Well it's been down to about 7 degrees at least three nites, so go back there and look under the hood, in the radiator, YUP ! froze up ! I can see ice in the radiator !. It's an aluminum rad with plastic end tanks, appears to be only 1/2 full (of ice). Think it's broke ? What damage can I expect from the engine ? How tough is this engine? What's the best way to thaw this out ? I asume kind slow...................I hate to think all this work (and expense) has to be done over..........

#231 ·
Ice

If ya hold your mouth right, and have been living a good clean life, like Momma told ya to.......the plastic end caps will swell with the expansion and MAYBE let the rad live.
And MAYBE the soft plugs, which up north we always called them FREEZE plug will push out and save the bock.
As far as the best way to thaw it out...I am not sure.
I wonder.....if since the rad is only half full....would it help to ADD some anti freeze so if anything does thaw.....it won't re-freeze. I know it would not penetrate the block but it may be worth a shot.
I think I would be tempted to take off the water hoses, and remove the thermostat. It MIGHT even be worth it to pull the whole water pump....ANYTIHNG to give the ice room to expand.
Let us know how this turns out. Good luck!

#232 ·
well, I pulled the top rad hose off, there's no thermostat in it yet, so I could see in the housing, no ice or water.............that could be good news. Pulled off bottom hose, full of frozen slush, partial thawed, I think due to the flame thrower heat, ice up in the water pump cavity and the lower rad.......... I'll let it thaw out some more, hopefully get it back into thewarm side of the shop in the next day or two..........raining today.....that should help melt some of the ice ??????????????

#234 ·
I think most people here know what block heaters are, but I don't think they have them or know how to use them. Acouple years ago, whike living in Texas ( I'm originally from Wisconsin) I tried to explain to them about tank heaters and block heaters and such, they thought I was making it all up ! Anyway, the rad is aluminum (Ford Explorer, I think ) cross flow, with plastic end tanks. Got this pretty cheap from junk yard, sure would hate to buy a new one ! I know the 'freeze plugs' or 'frost plugs' is what I used to call them, are really just casting plugs, but in this case, I hope they are 'freeze'plugs, but then again I just put new ones in just before I put the engine in....they're probabley pretty tight ! It's getting down to 20 degrees tonite ! Better run the flame thrower some more and cover with blankets...........

#235 ·
well, I got the car into the warm work area, did some looking ...... both rear fost plugs, or in this case , freeze plugs were popped out, checked the oil pan drain plug for water, was just enough to thin the oil a little bit, but not discolor it , took the spark plugs out, blew some air in each cylinder, I think I got some moisture out of # 5 on the rt, # 4 on the left, the sprayed some WD 40 in the holes to keep them from rusting. Today I hope to pressureize the block and maybe do a leak down test, providing I can make the neccesssary gadgets to do it with I did get the radiator checked, with a very old pressure checker I aquired many years ago, rad has a very slow leak........ I really would hate to loose this motor !!!!!!!

#236 ·
Last nite, hooked shop air to the thermostar housing, at 20 # it blew out the frost plugs that I tried to re-use, at 10 # I could not hear any lraks anywhere ! So, I 'm thinkin' ,if there is a leak somewhere, It can't be very big. Like maybe a good stop leak would seal it up . Only question now is the lifter valley, which is, I'm told , is the first place these engines crack. If so, that means I will have to pull the intake to check this out ??????????

#237 ·
ok, I checked everything again, put air on the thermostat housing again , air in the spark plug hole, this time , had the wife listen for air leaks, ( it's amazing what she,(they) can hear !!!) nothing ! So....... when we get s warm spell, I will take this out side, flush it good and use some block sealant, just in case, and see what happens...maybe keep in mind, a good replacement engine to totaly rebiuld for later use, as this is still a used engine....maybe I'll work on the doors some more.........

#239 ·
8 1/4 ??

went ot a small local junk yard yesterday, got some bucket seats (gray) from a small '95 Pontiac for $ 100 , front and rear ! while talking with the owner ( a Mopar guy ) he was telling about a ''8 1/4 '' (??????) rear end complete with brake drums for $150......says it's as good as a Ford 9'' ( I think that's the one everyone uses ) does he know what he's talking about ???????

#242 ·
seats are very comfy ! I managed to swap the electric seat parts from the '85 seats to these seats without too much modifying , still had to raise them up another inch ! There is plenty of room in the center for a console , The rear, I'm not too sure about, as I only have the cushions, I'll have to make some kind of support for the edges of the cushion. The back cushion, at this point, is too tall, maybe I'll need to buy a sewing machine .........

#245 ·
Got this from knighthawk to post.

"not getting much done on the '48 , just working on the window garnish, etc. Been busy working "remodeling " the master bathroom, ( prioritys, you know ) then slipped of a 2 foot high stepladder and really hirt my knee, anyway.... thought maybe 'we' could post a couple pictures of how I did the wood graining.
thanks"

This pic shows the window frames cut down to size and re curved.

after cutting and shapeing the trim pieces, I smoothed the welds with bondo, primed, then painted it with the wood color, ( spray can enamel ) . Then take small peice of terry cloth, cause it has the 'bumps' , dip it in a can, also enamel, of black, drag off the excess on the edge of the can, then just before you apply the paint , blot it in the tape, then lightly drag it across the 'wood' colored peice. I put tape in the corners, to create the illusion of mitered corners. I think it looks better than dragging the cloth in a curve. Just do 1 side, let it dry, move the tape, do the other side. let it all dry, lightl sand it, cause the black will be higher than the brown, then cover it all with some clear, and you can sand it more and keep biulding up the clear till it's all smooth. I reccommend practicing on a pice first...... I you look back a couple postings you see what the finished product looks like........couple cans of spray paint, a small can of black ......pretty cheap !

#247 ·
I thought my knee was getting better,but now I'm not sure ,Almost a month now, still sore and swollen, talking about a MRI to see what was torn ... I think it would help if I stay off the ladders and the stairs for a few days.... that'l mean I have to quit the remodelling project and just work in the shop on the '48 !!!!!!!!!!!!!........thanks ' Brew'

#248 ·
new problem......

new problem; besides the knee, ( volare front end from the '85 Chrysler ) the camber angle on only the right front wheel changes on it's own !!!!!!!!!! when i measured it after the care around, and / or jacking it up , i get a camber of about 1/4 '' tilted in at the top ! Other times I measured it , it 1/4'' out . ! Can't seem to get movement out of the bushings, just seems like the ''tower'' bracket for the top "A" arm is bending . Is this possible ? Anyone heard of this ? what's the cure ??????.......thanks .... car show comming up in 2 months , must be ready !

#249 ·
I been busy getting alot of misc stuff done, exhaust pipes, radio and speakers, antenna wires, , rear deck or package tray, misc wiring.... the small loacal junkyrad has a carb for me for $20 out of a mid 70's 318, but my question is... what years will I get the best performance befor they sarted the power cut backs ? I think early 70's, before 74 would be best ?????

#250 · (Edited)
I have a 48 dodge 4 door d-24 chopped top still a project car
rear window intact.top was split just in front of center pillar
and about 12-14 inches added.chevy nova front clip 2 front ends-think i'll make tilt. how you make rear doors sucide??
I hope mine will come out as nice as yours.I can't sucide my doors because my rear doors fallow rear fender lines.I noteced yours don't

#251 ·
sorry for the delay here, computor was down again ! My '48 was always suicide doors. I just assumed they all were ! How could you add 10 - 12 inches to the roof ! and I would really like to do the tilt hood also....matbe later. Plan to take it to a car show in couple weeks, I think I can get it drivable by then , not sure about the tranny yet . Got the rear window and windshield in ,, re-adjusted the rad core support, now all the hood and fenders off, aliittle more re-working on the frenched headlite and turn signal assys, then maybe put the fenders on for the LAST TIME!!! Almost forgot, I m getting my knee opertated on next week, Im told I'll be off it for a week ! Sure hope their wrong ! Ain't got time for stuff like that !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.