another hp question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 09:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

another hp question

you guys probably get tired about answering how much hp, but maybe you'll do one more. i have a 73 sbc 400 out of a caprice classic. stock bottom end, 1 5/8" full length headers, edelbrock performer intake, 327/350hp cam (don't know the specs), and a q-jet from about the same year, so maybe 600 cfm. the exhaust is ran through 2 1/4" pipe and series 40 flowmasters. soon i hope to change the cam to a comp cam 268h with 212 duration at .050" on intake and exhaust and .440" lift on intake and exhaust. i also plan on having the stock heads ported and polished and a 20 degree back cut on the valves (i believe some one called it a multi-angle valve job.) i have a small budget so thats why im sticking with the stock heads. i hope to make good torque out of it. if someone could tell me the hp and tourque before and after the comp cam and head work id appreciate it. thanks.

sorry i failed to mention it has a th350c trans and a 3.23 open rear end. how much hp would be lost by the time it reaches the rear end?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Tazz

how much HP?

Start with the stock engine HP and start adding on for duel exhaust,4brl intake and 4brl carb then the cam, just add it all up and tell us what YOU come up with.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 04-11-2004, 07:47 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

i would guess under 300 hp, but the torque will be around 425-450 foot pounds. with the the 3.23 gear it should run pretty good. i would save my money on the head work. there's not going to be a lot gained from the stock 400 heads. save your money & buy a better set latter on.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:22 PM

the stock ratings were 175hp and 275 torque. if i guessed id probably say i might be makeing 250-260hp and 375torque. thats just my guess. i didn't know if someone might have a desktop dyno or something. what heads would work good on the 400s? id like to try to do like the old AMX javelins that made around 315hp but had 400 some odd pounds of torque.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in