Another Newbie Painter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Another Newbie Painter

I am repainting a car with Acrylic Metallic Enamel. After apply several coats, I let the paint dry overnight, smoothed it with steel wool & applied a final coat. After a few minutes, the new paint began to wrinkle severely, looking like a dry lake bed. What in the world has happened here ? I have little painting experience & known with metallic acrylic. Do I need more dry time or is additional sanding & spaying not allowed ???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Colorsanding painter

I think you might have applied the paint too wet when you scuffed and shot it again. My other guess is the first coats of paint might need to dry longer before applying more paint.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks

At the moment, the only option I see is to let the paint dry for a few more days & try it again. I have my doubts, as I repainted a small piece of trim after two days of drying time & the same thing occurred. Another possibility I thought might be the cause is that, after scuffing, I wiped the area clean with a cloth dampened with the acrylic enamel reducer I use to thin the paint. Could that have softened the paint enough to cause this ? The thinner evaporated immediately, so I didn't give it another thought.

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Colorsanding painter

I'd say to let it dry for a few weeks, preferably in the sun before attempting to recoat it.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:51 PM

Hmmmmmm

I could take several guesses BUT I think it would be better in the long run for you to make sure you have read ALL the tech info sheets on the products you are using. In there somewhere there will be something that talks about "recoat time".
Every product.....not just every manufacturer, but every product has it's own unique chemistry, and the time you allow between coats "flash time" is more critical on some products than others.
In general you can recoat either within the initial wet stage after allowing for the specified "flash off" of solvents between wet coats.
After that....you pretty much have to wait till the stuff dries, or cures, before you can add any other coats because the new solvents reach into the first coats and draw them up causing the crinkles you described.
It's probably a chemical shock thing.
I also think that if this paint job is important to you, then maybe you might consider stripping this damaged stuff and begin from the beginning.
I think the foundation or base of this paint job has been compromised, and probably will not last very long before it fails.
I have always been one to rush into something without reading the directions very well....then the whole project goes [email protected]#$%!!!!!!
It's taken me many years to finally learn about the saying "never time to do it right, but always time to do it OVER"
Old 10-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Good Advice

The "re-coat time" on the paint is "within 48 hours" or "after one week". Thought I was within the 48 hour span, but maybe not. Can't find anything on the reducer. I did have to increase the reducer to paint ratio from 4-1 to 3-1 to get a smoother finish. Perhaps the additional reducer reduced the re-coat time? Guess I'll give it at least a week before trying again. Will definitely heed your advice on starting over on the two pieces that are wrinkled.

Thanks, very much, for you advice.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in