any body men on the forum? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2018, 12:35 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

Geico would repair that fender Would be an easy fix as long as you mock up the bumper. Can pogo stick pull a lot of stuff off a wiggle wire.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 02:48 PM
fat tire

the cost is $1738.00
Old 04-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
Just for fun, can you scan the est and post it here? You can cover all you and the shop info if you like, ust the time and costs, it would be interesting to see.

Brian

Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 AM
fat tire

I don't know how to scan to the computer LOL so here is a picture
the estimate is plus my $250 deductible

Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 AM

It's amazing how different labor rates are around the country, we haven't seen rates that low since about 35 years ago! That estimate actually looks real good, and real close to what we would write. But ours would be about $2400 with our rates.

The bumper is After Market, I would go with remanning that one before I put an AM on there. But they aren't bad, a quality AM is ok. They have it listed as CAPA, which is a "Certification" company who inspect and certify Aftermarket parts as fitting well. They are "ok" and better than non-certified but still not as good as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) The fender shows as OEM as well as the Liner, with the blending of the hood and trunk, this really looks like a fine estimate to repair it properly.

Brian
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 AM
fat tire

the shop manager told me not to worry about the AM bumper. he deals with a company that sells GM that would price match
The Following User Says Thank You to fat tire For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-03-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat tire View Post
the shop manager told me not to worry about the AM bumper. he deals with a company that sells GM that would price match
Right on, that is actually a standard in the industry now. All the manufacturers got smart about two years ago and began matching (when they can) and it is amazing how our reman, used and aftermarket parts usage dropped dramatically!

Brian
Old 05-03-2018, 12:06 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat tire View Post
you got saved. AM bumpers are a common part to go AM. The problem I often see is that the tabs will be thicker or thinner than OEM and they don't engage really well with the tabs on the bumper stays. The edges along the wheel well will always have that mold release lip that needs to be sanded down, they don't fit well to the corner of head lights, and often times there's fitment issues to fenders when there's a curve on the mating surface of the fender like with a Camry. They work good on bumpers with bolts THRU the fender and into the bumper, not screws into plastic clips. The bolts will hold it tight and it will stay. The plastic clip and screw don't hold as tight and you need that with AM bumpers. Estimate looks legit and as Martin said, those labor rates are really low. We're at $70-$90 out here and more in SF.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Right on, that is actually a standard in the industry now. All the manufacturers got smart about two years ago and began matching (when they can) and it is amazing how our reman, used and aftermarket parts usage dropped dramatically!

Brian
Yeah, the "price match" works out to the GM part shop cost is matched to the AM list price. So, when the insurance company pays for an AM part, there is no cost savings to go with a GM part. But State Farm will never figure an AM part anymore. progressive, Geico, and others, will figure AM parts on a 2018 Mercedes, if there are any available.
But OTOH, there are some parts that cost more AM, than OEM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
Yeah, the "price match" works out to the GM part shop cost is matched to the AM list price. So, when the insurance company pays for an AM part, there is no cost savings to go with a GM part. But State Farm will never figure an AM part anymore. progressive, Geico, and others, will figure AM parts on a 2018 Mercedes, if there are any available.
But OTOH, there are some parts that cost more AM, than OEM.
I am a student of marketing, I just have a large interest in the subject, have for years. It's so damn interesting to see what companies do with stuff like this, how a price can come down dramatically to not lose the sale.

One thing I learned long ago, the price of manufacturing has nothing what so ever to do with retail price. This hit me 30+ years ago when I looked at a Chevy moulding and a Cadillac moulding that I had in the shop and how the much more expensive to produce Chevy one was a quarter the price of the Cad one!

I have seen funny things like the "tupperware lid" like license bracket that are commonly found on late model cars. It's literally more simple to manufacture than a tupperware lid. We had a Toyota one, OEM was $9.00. AM was $6.00. And we had a Mercedes the OEM was $130 and the AM was $70. LOLOLOLOL They were IDENTICAL other than the shape where it bolted to the bumper.

Funny stuff!

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in