Any Ford Diesel Mechanics on board? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2019, 11:14 AM
True Hotrodder

Wiki Edits: 0

Any Ford Diesel Mechanics on board?

My son is having a heck of a time with his 2003 Ford 6.0 diesel. Need some help and just checking to see if anyone on here works as a Ford diesel mechanic?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 12:12 PM

I just finished a 94 7.3 Powerstroke, posted vids on youtube (not the best, need better camera).

The 6.0 is quite a bit different, but concepts are the same.

Signs and symptoms of problem?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM
True Hotrodder

We've been working on this truck for a few weeks now and could really use some help and advice...we're running out of ideas.

Background: This truck's main job is pulling my son's enclosed trailer to the racetrack - we drag race. On a weekend prior to the main problem, he had pulled into a cheap diesel station and put about $30 in the tank to get home after racing that night. The truck was running fine when it pulled up to the pump. It wouldn't restart and a semi truck helped him out by spraying a shot of starter fluid through a rag into the air box, it fired up and he drove it home. I believe it was driven some during that week too. The next weekend, he pulled to another track but he says as he was getting through the gate he had to give it more pedal to get it moving but came into the pits and parked. Except for a couple of times spraying some brake cleaner in it, it hasn't run since then.

We found this list here on another thread:

Each item below must be correct or this engine will not start.

FICM_L: should read 11.0 to 12.0 volts at key-on/engine-off and remain steady while you crank the engine.

FICM_M: should read 47.5 to 48.0 volts at key-on/engine-off and remain steady while you crank the engine.

FICM_V: should read 11.0 to 12.0 volts at key-on/engine-off and remain steady while you crank the engine.

ICP V: should read 0.18 to 0.25 volts at key-on/engine-off and climb to minimum 0.8 volts while you crank the engine.

ICP: should read 0 psi at key-on/engine-off and climb to minimum 500 psi while you crank the engine over.

IPR Duty Cycle: should read 14.84% at key-on/engine-off and climb to around 50% as you crank the engine over.

FICM_SYNC: should read "NO" at key-on/engine-off and change to "YES" when you crank the engine over.

SYNC: should read "NO" at key-on/engine-off and change to "YES" when you crank the engine over.

V_PWR: should indicate around 12 volts at key-on/engine-off and drop to no lower than 9.5 volts while cranking the engine over.

RPM: should indicate around 175 to 200 as you crank the engine over. Any slower, and it's not cranking fast enough.

Fuel pressure spec is 56 psi, and no lower than 45 psi under load.

Each and every item expect for the very last has checked out as correct against this list. On the last item, we show about 51-52 PSI.

Best guess is that we dumped at least 90%+ of the diesel fuel that was purchased at that station and replaced it with a high quality diesel fuel. All the filters have been replaced, batteries have been load tested and kept charged up. The ICP, IPR sensors have been changed out. This truck also had the EGR delete performed around 100 miles back without any issues.

HPOP is right at 1500 psi. Oil fills the housing in less than 10 seconds.

Also, there are and have been zero codes. We had a diesel mechanic scan it on two occasions with his Snap-on scanner setup.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:38 PM
JS-70

Without scanner its hard to tell. I know one fix, if the electric clutch fan is no good it wont start. Not sure this has one but if it does, unplug it. If it starts, replace the electric clutch. PS Make sure there is enough oil in the crankcase, to the full mark
Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Been a while but I used to work on hundreds of them lol
You need to get a scanner and check your oil pressure - Hpop at cranking when it refuses to start, if you don't get 600 psi cranking your injectors wont fire. Using the scanner to check the pressure and injector pulse, they should correspond.
You have check the oil? It wont start low on oil

There is a million tests to do, you might have to join a few PowerStroke forums, they used to be out there when I had the fleet

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Try this one ... a little of background Hx: >>> https://www.drivingline.com/articles...really-better/

After reviewing this I wonder if the issue is dirt/debris in one or some of spool valve(s).

From your description of what happened there seems to be direct cause and effect going on. I.E.: One trip/fill-up and poor run-ability. It sounds like you have some very good help, but I was thinking more on just the basics. The bad fuel might have plugged the fuel pump screen, fuel filter, pressure regulator, basically anything downstream from the source.

The truck wouldn’t start, then it did after introduction of starting fluid spray, this would seem to allude to a fuel problem, so I would be checking along that route of possibilities.

Below is link of YouTube vid I did on the PowerStroke 7.3 that was messed up by bio diesel:

Presentation quality needs to improve, still learning on that part. The issue with this particular truck was basically a plugged up fuel system, which might be some of your issue.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 PM

This vid is of the test drive after the 7.3 was put back together:
Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 PM

I re-read through your list, sounds like you have already ruled out some of the items I mentioned. Im still thinking something fully or partially plugged up in the fuel system.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:17 AM

ICP system issue. It won't start at 500psi of ICP. The shot of ether to spin the motor fast enough to make enough ICP to start is your sign.

Full field the IPR with injectors unplugged/disabled and monitor pressure at ICP sensor (scanner). If it's not over 3K, then install manual gauge on pump to rail port and retest. If pressure is good, but leaks off in less than a couple of seconds, then pump is fubar. If it stays, then air check the rails as a unit and listen for leaks. Probably one of them damn case tubes leaking. But you could have an injector issue as well. How old are the pump and injectors. They don't refer to replacing the injectors '8 packs' for no reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
Richiehd (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 05:34 AM

Hpop should be making over 3k as mentioned, iirc it ideally is 4K psi. I think the 7.3's run 2k psi.

Been a few years since I owned a 6.0.

No codes, ipr,icp, and ficm voltages check out, almost bet the standpipes are leaking, if original, they are a two piece pos, the replacements are one piece. If so, replace the dummy plugs as well, they are in the oil rail with the standpipes.

And on top of that, check the injector cups, they are known to crack. Good luck on the passenger side if you have to go in this far, it sucks for room, drivers side isn't great by any means either, electric ratchet is your friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dfish1247 For This Useful Post:
64nailhead (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM

We work on these in 13 letter poop spreaders, known as VT365's. And we used to refer to them as total crap, until Navistar released the big brother to this - Maxx7 (DPF and DOC units). The 7's made the 444's and 365's look like roses in a bed of thorns lol.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in