Any tips for shooting this tight spot? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Wiki Edits: 0

Any tips for shooting this tight spot?

Any ideas how I can shoot these areas a little better?

Area "A" is up under the visor and on the underside of the windshield frame. There are really two problems here, getting the gun to fit so you can shoot somewhere close to a right angle from the target and the bigger problem, shooting upside down - or close to upside down.

Area "B" is the front lower edge of the the windshield frame. Here the problem is I can't get the gun at a right angle to the target...and as a result I'm getting a lot of rough texture - looks almost like dry spray - because the spray is hitting at such a poor angle.

I've managed to get an adequate application of primer but only because I've sanded off a ton of rough spray. My concern is more when I shoot the base coat and getting a nice finish in those areas. I can't sand the base...so I've got to get it right the first time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tight spot 002a.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	36369  

Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM

Shooting tight spots

Cboy-

I have enjoyed your posts and watching your projects. Thanks for sharing with us.
I am a home do it yourself type person and just in the last couple years started working on cars. While taking a painting class at the local community college I was introduced to the Devilbiss Dekups system. For somebody spraying at home, this is the way to go. The paint is mixed in a disposable cup which is airtight. The fact it is airtight allows you to hold the gun upside down and still spray. After spraying you can let the paint dry in the disposable liner and throw in the trash. To clean the gun all you need to do is remove the aircap, spray some solvent through the gun and and aircap. This may be something to consider. You can find videos on youtube for Dekups and 3m PPS systems(which is very similar). Hope you find this helpful
capta1n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 PM

One of the el cheapo touch up detail guns from HF. The one I have has is gravity feed and has a small aluminum cup that rotates to any position, even with the gun upside down. That should work fine.
ITEM 92126-2VGA

Vince

Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Wiki Edits: 161

Warning..this post contains an alternative paint equipment suggestion..

You could use a pressure pot as well. Those shoot upside down, sideways too. Great for undercar, rocker panels and wheelwells....They do take some paint to fill the hose, and they take more to clean, (I put a dixie cup full of paint inside the pot for small batches..saves paint and you don't have to use so much thinner to clean the pot), but they also don't use as much air from the compressor and there is less overspray.

I know no one acknowledges their existance, and they occupy the same paint application group as rollers, pushbrooms and mop and bucket but I like mine alot. I bought a HF pot for less than 50.00 about 20 years ago, and hook one of my old swapmeet Devilbiss suction guns to it. I know it ain't supposed to work, but it seems to get the paint on.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 PM

some like it tight

I have an old touchup gun with the can on the bottom and would be perfect for this type. You can shoot with less pressure and get to many tight areas. I paid a lot of money for mine at the time but they are cheap at a lot of the guys that sell tools at swapmeets etc. I think mine is a Devabious Sp???
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done

Vince,
Have you used the gun much?
I've got one as well and after "trying" to use the cpos,threw it in the trash can.
The cup top is a disaster,it leaks around the swivel area if you don't get it tight,look at it wrong and it comes loose and it only has a .6 nozzle.
D.
You should be able to shoot the "front" inside section of "A" from inside the vehicle thru the window frame.This should get inside your "<" and the rest from outside.
In hindsite,you should have welded that opening up solid.

Might want to check out Devilbliss's "bag" system. Poor man "cup system" and lot's cheaper. I use it on several guns and as long as you seal the ziploc bag GOOD,it will paint upside down as well.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

i have 2 2quart pressure pots that are over 25 years old. while they are a little hard to clean up they are golden. one is for heavy primer and the other i used for clear on custom vans. they are cheap now and will solve just about any tight spot problem.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM

I use my Finex FX100 with the 3m pps system for those type spots.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I was hoping I could do this without more equipment...but looks like I might need to buy my way to a solution.

I might first try the old siphon detail gun I have stashed away somewhere. I recall being able to lay that one back pretty far...providing the suction hose was installed just right and pointing in the right direction to pick up the paint.

The problem with the Devilbiss "bag" solution is that I can't get my full sized gun into that space to shoot properly. That's only 11 inches between the top of the cowl and the bottom of the visor...10 inches if you count the lower windshield frame piece. And the gun depth (laying on its back) is 7 inches. So far I've been using my detail gun to get the primer up in there (and Bee4Me's tip on shooting from inside the car as well as outside). But even with that it's been a real hit and miss situation.

Regarding the "hindsight" about enclosing that entire area under the visor: think - windshield wipers. The motor stem for the wipers comes through the top frame of the windshield and attaches to the wiper up in that section. So I didn't really have that alternative available...at least not without putting the windshield wipers down on the cowl (which I don't like visually and it takes up all sorts of room under the dash etc. etc.).

At this point I'm waiting to hear if Vince has had leakage problems with his rotating cup detail gun. Otherwise, I'll probably just get the smallest pressure pot setup I can find. Either way, it looks like a road trip to Harbor Freight.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 AM

Just had another question for Vince. If you rotate that cup so you can shoot in the full upside down position, A) does the cup interfere with the paint fan and B) how much total distance is there from the top of the cup to the hose attachment? I'm thinking, in the full upside down position, with the cup pointing straight up, that gun might still be too large to fit in this area...particularly if I add an air gauge at the inlet plus the hose is going to be coming straight off that inlet as well (unless I bought an elbow to install the hose).
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 AM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,535 Times in 1,017 Posts
How about something like this..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93305

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93312
Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Last journal entry: Update on my Build-Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS

I bought the top one to spray the underside of my Car w/Epoxy-it is a POS-
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,535 Times in 1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
I bought the top one to spray the underside of my Car w/Epoxy-it is a POS-
I never bought one,I have no idea how good they are.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,410 Posts
Dewey, you have primed it, that got done, how did you do it? I would think if you just paint it from inside and out you could get coverage on all of it. The color and clear are thinner and will flow out a little more.

Brian
Old 02-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done

Wipers? What the heck you need them for.

Most of those HF units have large nozzles for painting "large" areas that I've seen.
Don't remember what a 0.71" is,but I "think" it's about a 2.0 metric.
Problem with that HF touch up gun is the .6 nozzle. That thing is just a glorified air brush and does not have much pattern size and it "may" spray your color,but the clear won't have much build.
You can try one,their only like $6.00 so no big investment but I'd do some testing first so's you can see what your in for.Just have to keep on your toes as to the cup orientation when moving it around.
I think you'd have better luck with the old touch up and use a st.ell or a short swivel on the inlet to turn the hose 90*.Set you fan to spray across to length and just be careful of your build.The paint will likely build at the top and run down the sides and drip out the bottom.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in