Anyone put a 302/5.0 into a 57 Fairlane? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone put a 302/5.0 into a 57 Fairlane?

I've been told there are kits to put 460's into these cars and actually make the job a snap but I'm thinking a small block would make a better driver, especially with gas at $3 bucks a gallon.

I wonder if anyone could tell me if they know of a motor mount kit that would help me bolt up a 302/5.0 onto the old, long missing, 292 frame mounts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Good swap

A 302 w/ an AOD would make a great driver IMHO..Now as far as I know the tranny mount will line up just fine and Speedway motors has a crossmember for the Ford engine..May require some fabrication.

Check your pan clearance as you may need to get the proper oil pan and pickup for that swap..302 comes with either front or rear sump..myself I think I would just set the engine/tranny in place and then see just what is needed to complete the mounts..May be possible to get the frame mounts from another car to adapt to your chassis..Driveshaft is anyones guesstimate as to how tha tis to be worked out..I would suggest just bite the bullet and have your local driveshaft guy fix you up on that piece..You will need the yoke that fits the tranny and the one that fits the rear end..let him sort out the rest of it..

I presume you are going carbed..if you do happen to come up with an EFI block they do have the provision to mount the fuel pump tho you will need to install the fuel pump eccentric on the cam..The rest of it is just regular ole hookup the fuel and electrical connections..

As far as anyone having a "kit" for this dunno bout that but since it goes in so easy anyway I do not forsee and great amount of grief in doing this..

OMT
Old 10-23-2005, 05:09 PM

57 eng swap

In my opinion this would make a great swap, 302, or 351. Call crites in ohio, I think he has the parts to do this. good luck, jim.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 PM

This 57 project, hopefully, will start in the spring. First things first, though it doesn't hurt to start planning. It is a New Mexico car I just stumbled across and bought a month, or so, ago. The body is outstanding though missing the motor (acording to the code a 292/2V) and rear end. Straight, no bondo of any kind, very little rust and all the glass (except right wing window) and trim is there and very good. Right now the plan is to do it with a small block/T5 as it was a stick car (3sp w/overdrive) and the pedals are there. There's still alot of time to decide what to do about the induction but EFI sure sounds great.

So, as I said, first things first so the first thing I really need to do is to get it to roll around. Been running in circles trying to decide what to do for a rear end. Been taking stock of what I have around and calling buddys to see what they have around. My neighbor kid has several truck 9" housings but they're too wide for the 57. He also has an 8" housing with axels out of a 64 V8 Sprint that looks perfect but the 3rd member would need to be rebuilt and,, it's an 8",,, which shouldn't really be a problem with a mildly built 302/T5...
Then I also already have a big old honker 9" rear, already with discs, that's under a 75 Mk IV which would have to be shortened, spring mounts located and welded, and necessary parts redrilled to 5 on 4 1/2 pattern...

Right now it looks like I'll build the 8 incher.. Unless I can come up with the proper 9 incher (52 1/4" bearing to bearing).

Been trying to finish up my 69 Torino Cobra project (at least I've been throwing a lot of money at it lately) so I have my big block monster. I used Crites mounts and headers to shoehorn a 460/C6 into it and am actually happy with their product. I had no big problems though there sure isn't much room in there. With luck I'll have this one running and ready for paint around Christmas..

Crites is known for their big block stuff though they're worth a call about the motor mounts for a small block into the 57. I'll see what they say tommorow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57 left side.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	7480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torino engine compartment.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	7481  
Old 10-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Instagram: partsretriever

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Wiki Edits: 7

I'd go with a 351, when built up they make good torque, like to rev, and get decent mpg, well, better than a 460.

Car Craft did an article on the 351ws they used in the Starsky and Hutch movie, I think they made about 400hp.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Rear end

you may wish to look at the 8.8 out of a Ranger or explorer..one of those may fit well and the later ones have disk brakes to boot..

OMT
Old 10-24-2005, 01:52 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
GEARHEADS EXCLUSIVE

Small Block Ford Motor Mounts in a 54-64 Ford or Mercury
  • Gives you the correct Drive Train positioning.
  • Great Oil Pan clearance.
  • Firewall distance correct.
  • Can use Tube-type Headers.
  • Perfect Radiator clearance with no electric fan needed.

This item sells for $125.00, including UPS shipping.
-Geargeads Cruiser Products-

The engine will go down with either 63/64 GALAXY 289 mounts or mounts from a 67/ PU Truck but sometimes will not sit perfectly without fabricating custom spacers.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

I'd look into the kit. Use something that has easily available mounts.

Based on what you have said, I would recommend your staying with a small block... 289-302-5.0 HO... and using the factory 89-95 mass air fuel injection set up. It is simple and easy to do. Been there, driving that.

Remember, it is just a Ford and most stuff drops right in for many years. Like 72+ frame-Torino disc brakes, etc. You can use a plenty strong 75-80 Granada 8" rear end, it is a simple bolt in and ready to run, available almost anywhere for $ 50 complete.

If you use a 86+ Crown Vic 5.0 and AOD, they are roller engines but only 160 hp but can be upgraded reasonably with the later computer and minor rewiring. Grandma drove them and they usually are in pretty decent condition.

Fuelie AOD should get 22 with the AC on.

There are tons of factory fuelie set ups out there for little money. Mustangers are pulling them off and throwing them into the storage sheds and installing all the super duper parts. Get EVERYTHING.

I'm trying to put in a picture but it says it is too big....

www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges

Last edited by xntrik; 10-30-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Troll Hunter

Put a 351C in a '58 Edsel a few years back. Used the stock smallblock motor mounts for a '63-'64 Galaxie and used some collars(1/2-1") between the block and the mounts to lift the engine (pan) enough to clear the crossmember. The original trans was a 2 speed Fordomatic and needed trimmed to clear the C6 oil pan. If it had an FMX(cast iron cruiso) I think the trans crossmember would have worked without modification. It has several frame holes for different trans crossmembers and I used them without change. The stock Cleveland 4bbl exhaust manifolds fit easily, so any other small block should be no problem. All the parts were accessed at a local parts store so the customer could get them later if needed.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info guyz.

The 351 Cleveland is a slightly wider engine than the 351 Windsor, but the way that the C exhaust comes out.... (the head exhaust surface is 90* to the deck.... the W is not....) makes the C exhaust come out pointing down at a 45* angle and the W points out more sideways. In a tight compartment the C actually fits better and has more exhaust header clearance. So, believe it or not a C goes into early 60s unibodies easier than the W.

I have never seen a C in a late 50s Ford.

Anyhow here is the photo I mentioned.

x

check out www.readershotrods.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuelie mustang_tmp 3 small.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	7562  

Last edited by xntrik; 10-30-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:32 AM

I think I've found a donor. What exactly it is I'm not sure but I think an 82 with 5.0, AOD and disc 8.8 rear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	conti junker.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	7569   Click image for larger version

Name:	conti engine bay.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	7570  
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks
Wiki Edits: 1

It's a CONTINENTAL RWD. It came through with CFI but I see someone has carbed it with a 4180C HOLLEY. Shame, nice body.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup

The 57 Fairlane is a big heavy car and it will be some what of a dog with a 302 (my opinion). In its day, with a 312, 2 4barrels, police special, it was a dog. I would go for a big block and add EFI for increased economy and stick a manual OD tranny behind it. Now your motor will be loafing, hauling the 2 ton boat instead of bogging down a small block. But if you insist on the 302, look at a Kenne-Bell blower to help it out.

Trees
Old 10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Troll Hunter

Not to start a debate in this thread but The Windsor is much easier to fit into tight compartments than a Cleveland....MUCH easier. The exhausts fit closer to the engine on a W because of the port angle, plus they are inward of the block edge where the C ports are AT the block edge. Look at any Mustang that has a W and then one with a C and you'll see that the Windsor has much more room. If you're in the area stop by and I'll show you one of each.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:52 AM

You are concerned with mileage. If you are building a cruiser, the 302 will be fine. Upgrade it to SFI. There is 3-4 mpg more with SFI than carb.

I have a 90 Town Car 5.0 AOD that I bought new. It was never any rocket ship but consistently got 24.5 with AC on the road with a 3.27 gear. It has 235,000 on it now.

Hey my new 4.6 TC ain't no rocket either..... and it gets 27 on a trip but needs 91 octane.

I think that that Continental rear end is either 2 or 3 inches wider than your 57 Ford which was/is 57 1/2 inches wheel to wheel. I'd still do the Granada 8" as a direct bolt in no hassle deal. It will stand 250 hp at the tires easy. The 8 and the light 9 have the same axles.

I am not sure if those Continental spindles and disk brakes bolt right on to the 57, but I will try to find out.

Wow, that Conte has hydro-boost power brakes.... those are excellent... use them too !!!!!!!!! With a Saginaw PS gearbox it is sweet.

The street rodders are just now latching on to that technology and they love it.

x

www.readershotrods.com

Last edited by xntrik; 11-01-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in