anyone supercharging a small block chevy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 04:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

anyone supercharging a small block chevy?

I have a good thread going elsewhere with regards to engine rebuilding recommendations...but here I would like anyone who has supercharged their small block chevy to give me their recommendations on do's and don't's. Success stories or bitter failures are greatly appreciated. I am investigating options for making a small block chevy with a blower put out around 450-500 HP and 450-500 ft-lbs of torque.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 04:31 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck

Well Chris.
Do a search by typing in swupercharger or blower in the bottom search area and you will hit gold! LOL
Ive been rattling brains for months about em.
Whats your setup like? I talked to a fella who's been running em since 87 and he told me these fables.
You dont need huge expensive heads to make power.
You dont need roller rockers cause powers made at lower rpms.
he dont run expensive convertors.
He runs small edelbrock carbs and chaply builds his own linkage n fuel line.
Let me know your other website with your info and let me know your buildup thoughts. HG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hemmies rat journal below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HemmiGremmie
Well Chris.
Do a search by typing in swupercharger or blower in the bottom search area and you will hit gold! LOL
Ive been rattling brains for months about em.
Whats your setup like? I talked to a fella who's been running em since 87 and he told me these fables.
You dont need huge expensive heads to make power.
You dont need roller rockers cause powers made at lower rpms.
he dont run expensive convertors.
He runs small edelbrock carbs and chaply builds his own linkage n fuel line.
Let me know your other website with your info and let me know your buildup thoughts. HG
HG,

My other thread is on this website...it is titled 'engine building recommendations'. I do not have a set up yet, I am just trying to get myself educated.

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-14-2004, 10:49 AM

I almost have finished a 8-71 on a small block el camino. all i can say is WOW. drove it yesterday for the first time. the power is unreal. Look around on all the blower sites. Take you time. my set up started as a 350 - 350 crate engine 7 inches of boost and the power it puts out is scary. have fun
Old 11-14-2004, 11:15 AM

One thing that I have heard is to use a crank with the big block size nose. I dont have any experience in blowers but I guess the nose of the standard small block crank tends to break off from the stress of the blower. Just something I read.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

I've heard and read about the BB snout recommendations before, but I think for a street motor with a good 4340 crank wouldn't be a problem. You could run a blower hub instead of a damper to take a lot of stress off that snout.

If you do run a damper, do get a blower unit, if a standard balancer comes apart it ain't gonna be pretty.

Larry
Old 11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

I do not currently have a blower motor, but I am in the process of buliding one. First off, If you go to the procharger catalog, they have alot of really good information on blower motors. http://www.procharger.com/pdf/Chevy.Prod.bb.pdf One thing to think about is that if you are only looking for 450-500 hp, you dont need a supercharger. If you built a 383 with AFR 195cc CNC ported heads, and a reasonably sized hydraulic roller cam, you will make 500 hp on pump gas without a blower for quite a bit cheaper than a blower motor. If you wanted to build a motor like the 383 above but use 8.5:1 compression, and use a blower on that, 600-700 hp would be pretty easy.

Adam

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in