Anyone use exhaust inserts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone use exhaust inserts?

Has any one used the exhaust inserts that are designed to quiet down the exhaust? I guess Im wondering if they quiet it down much? Cause I need a lot quieter.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Sounds very restrictive
Old 03-23-2004, 11:49 PM

Snuff-Or-Nots!

Old 03-24-2004, 04:10 AM
Beyond the Sea

There is a perfect part for you. They're called Turbolators (http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101). Come in all kinds of styles as tips or one (part #1004) that is put in in-line (only in 2.25 in. I think). The key idea is that it has a spring loaded flap in the exhaust flow. At cruising speed the flap is mostly shut, which does quiet the exhaust substantially, plus gives the added BENEFIT of MORE backpressure. Result is quiet operation when you cruise plus better low rpm torque and as a direct result better mileage too. When you stomp on the gas the higher exhaust flow rates push the flap wide open, nearly eliminating the restriction at the full throttle operation. So you can 'have your cake and eat it too'.

Ferrari uses a variation of this active exhaust idea in their cars. Active mufflers based on this idea are under development and will be seen in a lot of new cars in the near future. A much more expensive part called a T-Rex was available until recently that did the same thing for radical offshore boats. These boats benefited from the the tips, it gives them better 'out of the hole' acceleration, but does not hurt top speed. If you think about it everyone on this board could benefit from such a self-tuning, load sensitive exhaust system. No more trade-off between high load performance and low load performance.

I've just ordered the inline version for my car. My 283 suffered in low end torque and mileage when I switched from stock exhaust to headers and dual. Sounded cool but otherwise it was not such a good idea as I got significantly worse mileage, and I couldn't spin the tires off the line anymore. And gas mileage in Germany at $5 bucks a gallon is a major concern of mine. Once I install them I'll report back how they work. Incidentally, the in-line version is not produced any more. There are about 100 pieces available at the Canadian distributor (as of March 2004)www.ultrafitexhaust.com .They can be ordered through Speedy Muffler in Canada.

I'll probably be laughed at by a lot of guys now. Almost everyone believes the 'less-restriction-in-the-exhaust-the-better' myth.

Last edited by Berliner Bel Air; 03-24-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Glad To Be Here

Re: Anyone use exhaust inserts?

Quote:
Originally posted by firechicken383
Has any one used the exhaust inserts that are designed to quiet down the exhaust? I guess Im wondering if they quiet it down much? Cause I need a lot quieter.

Thanks in advance.
All the inserts I've seen used did quiet down the exhaust but also yielded a poor quality sound and were very restrictive. If you want your exhaust quieter and still have a more aceptable sound with less restriction, use mufflers. There are many good performance mufflers available
Old 03-24-2004, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in