autobody depot,or eastwood paint??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

autobody depot,or eastwood paint???

HI
I'm going to repaint my car with a single-stage urethane ,low gloss paint. I'm looking at two different paints and was wondering if anyone has used either one and how they liked it. TCP global autobody depot has one called GL hotrod flatz and comes with a gallon of paint,hardner,and reducer for $150.00. The other is from Eastwood co They call theirs Hotrod flat black and comes with 3/4 gal of paint and a quart of activator and says no further reduction needed for $80.00. (big difference in price) Anyone know anything about these 2 paints,or any others that might be better?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 PM

The Eastwood paint is repackaged Kirker paint, which you can get cheaper at autobodytoolmart.com. You will have to buy activator from either Eastwood or autobodytoolmart; read the fine print.

SEM makes a hot rod black too; it's more expensive of course.

I have used none of these products, but I will try out the SEM stuff some day, because I have always had 100% satisfaction from SEM products. The SEM stuff is available at autobodytoolmart as well.

I am not a promoter of either Eastwood, SEM, or autobodytoolmart; I am a customer of all three.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:06 PM

TCP Global hotrod flatz

This is my 67' mustang painted with the tcp hotrod flatz you speak of, specifically "Daytona blue pearl". Please ignore the quality of the paint job itself, it was a lesson in buying more expensive tools, and side lighting.

Edit: My hotrod flatz kit came with everything in the box, nothing extra was required, they even threw in like 8 filters and stirring sticks, free stuff you don't expect is always nice

Even with the terrible streaking (Which is my fault, not the paints'), I love it, they even have a dvd that shows how to paint it....which I watched, and then proceeded to ignore the fact that my spray gun shot 4" cones instead of 12" cones like the guy in the video did.

Note: The "fuzzyness" of the surface in the picture is due to the bad light outside, the actual finish is very smooth and even

In addition, shipping was fast and prompt, but if you've never bought paint online before, be aware that it will ship ground, and air shipping is hilariously expensive, due to the fact that it's considered hazmat cargo =)

Last edited by GimpCow; 10-15-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:30 AM

with the urethane flat paint,can U apply something like spray detailer on it for protection,and if so does it make it get glossier?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM

Clear

The hotrod flatz also has a pre-flattened clearcoat that you can apply, if you want more protection, the paint itself already has UV stabilizer in it. I haven't used the clear, but given how well the paint itself looks, I'd guess it doesn't increase the gloss that much, buffing it however, probably would =)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in