Avoiding accidental trans brake activation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2019, 06:06 PM

Last journal entry: no spark and fuel pump issue
Wiki Edits: 0

Avoiding accidental trans brake activation

Hey guys I’m trying to pick your brains a little. I wired up my trans brake this weekend and I wired it through a toggle switch for safety. So the toggle switch arms the trans brake button and then once I press the brake button it activated the brake. But I’m still nervous I want to keep my brake button on the shifter but I’m afraid I could accidentally activate it somehow. I won’t be disarming it with the toggle switch until after the run and obviously there’s always the chance I could forget to hit the toggle and disarm the button. What do you guys do to protect yourselves against blowing up your trans or worse?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 06:23 PM
True Hotrodder

In most cases a delay box is in play and the bulk of the new ones have a timer in them that once the transbrake is released, a timer - usually about 10-15 seconds is also started which prevents the brake from being activated. If you are not using a delay box then there are plenty of 12v timer switches that you could wire into the circuit to provide the same prevention. And to be honest, a shifter knob button is a mickey mouse way of engaging the brake to start with and a dedicated button mounted either on the wheel, next to the shifter, on the dash would be preferable.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 PM

Install a led in a spot that is hard to miss.

A second shift light near the first comes to mind as a easy to add spot. Maybe the trans brake activation green or blue with the shift in red or orange.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Global Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: 1962 Morris Minor 1000
Wiki Edits: 1659

If you have a Pro Tree transbrake, it should only activate in 1st gear. Transbrake should not activate in 2nd gear or 3rd. There were NHRA rules in place on this.

There are 1st and 2nd gear transbrakes on the market for certain transmissions. Those are used in high HP cars for different track conditions.

Then... you can get into the 2 speed Turbo 400 stuff which can be different again on the transbrake
lmsport (10-21-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Not asking about what’s preferable to you or what might be considered “Mickey mouse” I’m asking if there’s a way to have a safety net just in case
Old 10-20-2019, 10:48 PM

This is a good idea
Old 10-20-2019, 10:49 PM

I run a fti trans with trans brake so I’m wondering if my brake has the capability to only be engaged in 1st which might be a help. Also I run a fast xfi system and I wonder if my Ecu will prevent an accident activation.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:06 AM
True Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsvette76 View Post
Not asking about what’s preferable to you or what might be considered “Mickey mouse” I’m asking if there’s a way to have a safety net just in case

Don't really care what you're asking - putting a transbrake connection on a shifter knob button is just asking for it - F-IT - have fun.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM

Are you switching +12v or gnd. I might have an idea.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsvette76 View Post
Hey guys I’m trying to pick your brains a little. I wired up my trans brake this weekend and I wired it through a toggle switch for safety. So the toggle switch arms the trans brake button and then once I press the brake button it activated the brake. But I’m still nervous I want to keep my brake button on the shifter but I’m afraid I could accidentally activate it somehow. I won’t be disarming it with the toggle switch until after the run and obviously there’s always the chance I could forget to hit the toggle and disarm the button. What do you guys do to protect yourselves against blowing up your trans or worse?
Isn't the toggle switch enough of a safety? Maybe also have the switch run a light to indicate it's engaged?

I do understand your concern about having a safety in place. IMHO the toggle switch that activates your transbrake switch is safety enough.

I searched for the XFI instructions and I couldn't find anything indicating a safety for this function, but God knows if I found the correct set of instructions. A call to the XFI people should resolve that question. I am very curious of the XFI and it's functionality. How well has it worked for you?
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 PM
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp

Ive had Trans Brakes in 3 vehicles so far and imo the trick is to have at least 2 steps, and button placement is important.

In the case of my old race truck I put the line lock on the shifter (no worry there), and the Trans Brake button in the dash (right where it needed to be so I wasnt uncomfortable pushing it).

I had to hit a toggle before the Button was live. I had to finish with the Line Lock (burnout) before I could use my right hand to push the Trans Brake Button. When ready I simply pushed the button, foot off the brake, gas pedal to the floor, let go of button...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6770.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	448911  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:29 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,191 Times in 2,679 Posts
just some info of interest on transbrake button placement/location....

I remember reading somewhere, don't remember where now, might have been Reher-Morrison, or Marv Ripes of ATI Transmission/converters, Frank Hawley's Driving School...somewhere, I don't recall exactly where.....that when it comes to getting the quickest release on a transbrake button, your finger or thumb is slower than your entire arm...as in, put the button on the dash or a bracket out at the end of a comfortable arms reach, and not on the steering wheel or shifter handle/knob.

It was explained like this....say you were to touch a red-hot burner on an electric stove....your entire arm nerve response whips your hand off that a lot faster than if you were to just move your finger.

Try it out...put a little spot of masking tape on the table in front of you....place your finger on it....then judge your response time just lifting your finger off the tape spot, then compare it to how fast your arm will yank your entire hand off the spot

ProStreetRob knows the truth ...and I did a buddy's '67 El Camino in a very similar fashion, button is in close to the very same area of the dash. Very consistent reaction time to the tree.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 AM

Eric is correct, Gross motor function is usually faster than Fine.
Don't sit on the transbrake for too long - heap bad mojo.
Be safe, and then do burnouts and wheelies
Old 10-22-2019, 08:00 PM
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp

Nothing like letting go of the button,
I sold the truck to a very good friend and it's been out there on the race circuit for many years with great success, and got dam does it launch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.18.30 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	867.8 KB
ID:	448937  
The Following User Says Thank You to ProStreetRob For This Useful Post:
64nailhead (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:12 PM

IMHO - you need that button on the wheel or on a bracket off the dash or upper halo bar on a cage. If you are not running an air or electric shifter then it's just complicating your shift lever and your reaction won't ever be that good I think. If you are leaving off the top, you want a consistent pull/release straight back off the button. Not sliding, etc. If you leave off the bottom, you should invest in a Just-In-Time button which in no way will mount on the shifter. If you are just Friday night TnT fun guy, then put it where ever.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in