AWESOME customer service at Eastwood - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

AWESOME customer service at Eastwood

almost 2 years ago I bought my first Eastwood Tig welder under a 3 year warranty. I bought it primarily for sheet metal. I soon found out the machine has a 8 second post flow.When I tack sheet it's just that, a tack. One second tops! So I'm welding for one second so I'm wasting 9 seconds of Argon gas on every tack!!! It would burn thru tanks!
It was very discouraging to want to learn on the machine cause I knew how precious the argon is. So I just ran my gas on low and risked a few contaminants here and there, which did occur because of it. So today I call Eastwood and at first they reminded me that I had 60 days to take it back but I insisted that this is a problem you don't spot right away. since the lady didn't know what a post flow was she got a tech who she put on the phone and he agreed with me. Tried to tell me to turn down my gas and I told him it already was. Then he agreed and sent me back to customer service. The resolution is that I send the welder back, they credit me for the full cost, and I pay $198 and they send back the AC/DC version which has an adjustable post flow and the ability to weld aluminum. They DID NOT have to do that. There was no defects to the machine, just a design flaw....and the tech agreed! That is AWESOME customer service.

If you don't want to pay the price for a Miller, Eastwood is the ONLY china made welder I would ever consider. Their customer service is great and they do all the repairs in-house and stock parts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,830 Times in 4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
almost 2 years ago I bought my first Eastwood Tig welder under a 3 year warranty. I bought it primarily for sheet metal. I soon found out the machine has a 8 second post flow.When I tack sheet it's just that, a tack. One second tops! So I'm welding for one second so I'm wasting 9 seconds of Argon gas on every tack!!! It would burn thru tanks!
It was very discouraging to want to learn on the machine cause I knew how precious the argon is. So I just ran my gas on low and risked a few contaminants here and there, which did occur because of it. So today I call Eastwood and at first they reminded me that I had 60 days to take it back but I insisted that this is a problem you don't spot right away. since the lady didn't know what a post flow was she got a tech who she put on the phone and he agreed with me. Tried to tell me to turn down my gas and I told him it already was. Then he agreed and sent me back to customer service. The resolution is that I send the welder back, they credit me for the full cost, and I pay $198 and they send back the AC/DC version which has an adjustable post flow and the ability to weld aluminum. They DID NOT have to do that. There was no defects to the machine, just a design flaw....and the tech agreed! That is AWESOME customer service.

If you don't want to pay the price for a Miller, Eastwood is the ONLY china made welder I would ever consider. Their customer service is great and they do all the repairs in-house and stock parts.
I just ordered one of these machines yesterday Henry. Did they tell you whether or not they have corrected the excessive post flow time? I agree 8 seconds is not acceptable.

2-3 seconds would be good to prevent oxidation of the filler wire or tungston but 8 seconds? Wow!

John
Old 12-08-2015, 06:46 PM
put up or shut up

congrats on your purchase! I hope my post made you feel it was a right call, or not depending on what one you ordered. The one with the 8 second post flow is the 200 DC (cheaper version) and the one that welds aluminum is the 200 AC/DC. I hope you ordered the AC/DC. You can control the post flow with a knob on the AC/DC. Please tell me you got that one! If not, halt your order. You may not like how it burns argon up.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
congrats on your purchase! I hope my post made you feel it was a right call, or not depending on what one you ordered. The one with the 8 second post flow is the 200 DC (cheaper version) and the one that welds aluminum is the 200 AC/DC. I hope you ordered the AC/DC. You can control the post flow with a knob on the AC/DC. Please tell me you got that one! If not, halt your order. You may not like how it burns argon up.
I suspect you are right if it flows for 8 seconds. I wonder if the current production ones flow that long. I did indeed order the cheaper DC unit.

John
Old 12-08-2015, 07:14 PM
put up or shut up

maybe it didn't ship yet. You still have 60 days to send it back. look at it this way, reading this post might save you a couple trips to the welding store to swap your tank. You're frugal so I know you got an extra 2bills lying around. You'll be able to weld aluminum too! It's still worth it.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
maybe it didn't ship yet. You still have 60 days to send it back. look at it this way, reading this post might save you a couple trips to the welding store to swap your tank. You're frugal so I know you got an extra 2bills lying around. You'll be able to weld aluminum too! It's still worth it.
I just hope they have corrected the post flow issue. We will know soon enough.

John
Old 12-08-2015, 09:01 PM

Tig post flow

My first TIG was a scratch start cheapie inverter that only had knob on the torch to turn the gas flow on and off. After I forgot to turn it off and lost a nearly full bottle I came up with an idea. I used a solenoid on the gas line that was triggered by the machine so it only opened when the welder was used, gave me no post flow but one of the electrical place so a hobby type timer that I wired in to the solenoid circuit to give me adjustable post flow.

Max
The Following User Says Thank You to 2themax For This Useful Post:
John long (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themax View Post
My first TIG was a scratch start cheapie inverter that only had knob on the torch to turn the gas flow on and off. After I forgot to turn it off and lost a nearly full bottle I came up with an idea. I used a solenoid on the gas line that was triggered by the machine so it only opened when the welder was used, gave me no post flow but one of the electrical place so a hobby type timer that I wired in to the solenoid circuit to give me adjustable post flow.

Max

Do you have more specific information on how you did it?

John
Old 12-09-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Do you have more specific information on how you did it?

John
I am in Australia so I am not sure which stores you will be able to get the parts I used over there. The machine I had used 12v as the internal voltage, simply found wire that ran from the trigger to turn the power on and off and ran it through a relay, used an old nitrous solenoid I had laying around, powered the solenoid from an old 12v power supply and the timer was made from a electronic kit timer from Tandy, over there I think they are "Radio Shack". After some research I found that some welders, not mine unfortunately, have a small adjustable pot to change the length of the post flow. Did have some pics but lost them in the last hard drive crash.

Max

Last edited by 2themax; 12-09-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themax View Post
I am in Australia so I am not sure which stores you will be able to get the parts I used over there. The machine I had used 12v as the internal voltage, simply found wire that ran from the trigger to turn the power on and off and ran it through a relay, used an old nitrous solenoid I had laying around, powered the solenoid from an old 12v power supply and the timer was made from a electronic kit timer from Tandy, over there I think they are "Radio Shack". After some research I found that some welders, not mine unfortunately, have a small adjustable pot to change the length of the post flow. Did have some pics but lost them in the last hard drive crash.

Max
Interesting. Thanks Max.

I did look up the specs on this machine and it states the post flow is 5 seconds. I can live with that but if it runs 8-9 seconds like Henry's, I will be rethinking this. It is returnable for 60 days. Some post flow is necesary to prevent the the weld and filler from oxidizing before it cools. Also the post flow can be used to purge the area before you weld by cycling the trigger as you prepare to weld and the triggering again to begin the weld.

Can't wait to play with it.

John
Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 PM
put up or shut up

Quote:
I just hope they have corrected the post flow issue. We will know soon enough.

John
the manual says it's 5 seconds but I think it's 8 seconds.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:41 PM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks Max.

I did look up the specs on this machine and it states the post flow is 5 seconds. I can live with that but if it runs 8-9 seconds like Henry's, I will be rethinking this. It is returnable for 60 days. Some post flow is necesary to prevent the the weld and filler from oxidizing before it cools. Also the post flow can be used to purge the area before you weld by cycling the trigger as you prepare to weld and the triggering again to begin the weld.

Can't wait to play with it.

John
Once the metal is no longer red it's just a benefit for your Tig torch to keep it cool. The provided gas hose will be junk. Definitely test that. You're gonna have fun with it. Let us know about your experiences with this machine. It welds very nicely. Today I just sent mine off back to Eastwood. At least 2 weeks before I get my new welder. My TIG welding isn't great but the key seems to be a consistent feed of wire. Mostly timing and reading the puddle. Your little poke with the wire is your "dime" so you read it as you stack it so you know exactly where to break it off to the next. Good drummers would make great tig welders.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:26 PM
put up or shut up

John, I wanted to share this with you. I'm still not sure whether or not I'm going to get a flowmeter but this sounds convincing.

Argon Bottle Issues - Metal Meet Forums
Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
John, I wanted to share this with you. I'm still not sure whether or not I'm going to get a flowmeter but this sounds convincing.

Argon Bottle Issues - Metal Meet Forums
Very interesting Henry. Here is what I am going to do. I am going to buy a cheap flow meter from Ebay like what is shown below and make a boot that will seal over the end of the TIG torch. Then I can trigger the welder and measure exactly what is flowing through the torch.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	69
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	263602  
Old 12-25-2015, 10:32 AM
put up or shut up

that's awesome. Yesterday I bought a used flowmeter for only $20 on ebay but totally see how it would be valuable to have both. One up stream and one down stream for total accuracy.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in