Ball joints for mustang ll - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2019, 06:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ball joints for mustang ll

I have a chassis engineering m2 front end in my car and I believe the kit came with Heidt tubular control arms with the screw in ball joints. I have seen posts saying they use mopar ball joints (all 4 the same
Part number which is an upper style ball joint). The information also says these are not intended to be used as a lower ball joint. Has anybody had issues with these? Am I better off to replace the ones that were included with the heidts control arms? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 05:39 AM

Heidt's or Chassis Engineering was of no help? Can they verify what you have is theirs'? it would be nice to verify what you have.

Mopar ball joints, A,B,C,E body share quite a few of the same part numbers and were all screw in but there are some differences along the way such as if it's early/late or for disk or drum spindles. Without getting into catalogs my self and looking it all up there is a small and large upper ball joint with a different socket available for each. The taper on the shaft is important also. The taper on the stud needs to match the taper machined in the spindle.

I'm not sure how your aftermarket arms are but oem Mopar arms were not threaded. The ball joints are of a self tapping nature. Easy to strip out arms if you go nuts smoking them down during replacement. Buying the socket and an impact gun is the easiest way to get them out if they were put in with the self threading method.

Speedway Motors and a few others used to sell Hd Mopar joints for the roundy-round crowd.

Last edited by Hipster_G; 05-14-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

I believe speedway still has the ball joints you need.. that is what I used..

Sam

Old 05-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,796 Times in 2,095 Posts
I'm going to expand on this a little because I have never seen it addressed on any forum. Ball joints and steering linkages use a tapered connection with a specific degree of taper. Not all are the same, so when doing swapping and integration of different parts to a specific application, you must do your homework and know what you are dealing with, because steering and suspension components are no place for amateurs to be fitting parts together that should not go together. Do your due diligence to find out if what you have in mind will match up and work. I have reamed steering components in the past, from one angle to another and I seem to remember that the taper tool cost me about $75. Here's an old thread from Hotrodders that gets into it a little.
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/bal...mer-49305.html
Old 05-14-2019, 11:24 AM

About 15 years ago or so there was a big to-do regarding the use of upper ball joints in place of lowers on aftermarket MII. Nothing ever became of it that I know of, just swept under the rug. Good news is that I also never heard of any failures due to wrong ball joints. If you are concerned maybe an updated set of A arms are in order rather than just replacing the used ones with the same thing.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I'm going to expand on this a little because I have never seen it addressed on any forum. Ball joints and steering linkages use a tapered connection with a specific degree of taper. Not all are the same, so when doing swapping and integration of different parts to a specific application, you must do your homework and know what you are dealing with, because steering and suspension components are no place for amateurs to be fitting parts together that should not go together. Do your due diligence to find out if what you have in mind will match up and work. I have reamed steering components in the past, from one angle to another and I seem to remember that the taper tool cost me about $75. Here's an old thread from Hotrodders that gets into it a little.
I've run into it and briefly mentioned it in my post. I used to have an old Moog catalog that list all the diameters and tapers for ball joints and tie rod ends under the part number, but it sprouted legs at some point.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I've run into it and briefly mentioned it in my post. I used to have an old Moog catalog that list all the diameters and tapers for ball joints and tie rod ends under the part number, but it sprouted legs at some point.

2 tapers were mentioned in that thread, which might have been what they were dealing with but if my memory serves me right across Ford, Gm, and Mopar there were several different tapers on BJ's and tie rods.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in