Base, flames, clear? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Base, flames, clear?

Hi,
I have painted my 23 T-Bucket 2 weeks ago. No clear yet. I have scuffed the paint as advised by Summit Racing (whose urethane paint I am using) due to the down time.
I will be laying down one coat of clear prior to some flames and some pinstriping, then 2 coats clear over that. My question is:
I have scuffed (sanded) the paint to allow for adhesion oif the clear but should I do mthe same with the flames or can I clear over them without sanding? I won't be clearing right away.
Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

2 coats of that clear will not give you enough to cut and buff or get rid of flame edges. you'll burn through sanding .
Old 05-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

I would just spray the flames over the base and THEN clear. Bury the artwork very well, like shine suggested, to give you material to sand down the edges of the flames. If you keep the flame coverage to a minimum the edge should be minimal anyway.
I did this on my '95 pickup and it worked very well.

Mark

Old 05-18-2016, 08:41 AM

If you don't need to put more color on (hopefully it is a solid color), you can just put the flames on and then clear.
My preferred process: 1) put the main color on, then 2 coats of clear. 2) sand everything, layout flames and paint, then 3 coats of clear. 3) sand it all, most of the flame edge will be gone, but usually not totally, but ok at this point. 4) pinstripe/airbrush and 3 more coats.
This process is not always used as most people wont pay for the work, sometimes I pinstripe after laying out the flames and then 3-4 coats of clear to try to bury it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in